blenders vs. mixers

  • Lavinia Adler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2007
      Recently there was a bit of discussion about using an immersion (or hand)
      blender for preparing a methylcel bath. What is the benefit of using such
      a blender instead of a hand mixer (such as one might use for cake
      batter)? I've not used either, but before I go out to buy a hand blender
      I wanted to be sure I didn't already have just as good a tool in my
      kitchen.

      Lavinia

    • John Ang
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2007
        Recently, I tried the handheld mixer because my
        blender gave off smoke when I was making a batch of
        carageenan size. I used the mixer with a whisk
        attachment.

        I do not see any difference in the size. The whisk can
        only go as deep as its length, so for making a large
        batch, one may have to make several runs.

        --- Lavinia Adler <laviniaa@...> wrote:

        > Recently there was a bit of discussion about using
        > an immersion (or hand)
        > blender for preparing a methylcel bath. What is the
        > benefit of using such
        > a blender instead of a hand mixer (such as one might
        > use for cake
        > batter)? I've not used either, but before I go out
        > to buy a hand blender
        > I wanted to be sure I didn't already have just as
        > good a tool in my
        > kitchen.
        >
        > Lavinia

        > removed]