Re: [Marbling] Mixing methods, was Alternative sizes

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2006
      I never had luck with the immersion blenders either. I like my big Walmart one, I think it's a Sunbeam or something, not near it right now. many makers have bigger models. Even if yours takes 6 cups it helps, then add 2 cups water after.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2006
        When I first learned how to marble in Germany, I used boxed wallpaper paste.
        It came in powdered form and I added warm water. It performed very closely
        to carrageenan - the control wasn't as fine but good for teaching beginners
        and children or for practicing new technique. I can't find the same product
        in the US but perhaps things have changed in the past ten years. I wish I
        knew what the ingredients were but I'm afraid I can't remember! Maybe
        someone living in Germany would know?

        Angie
      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2006
          It depends on when you learned with wallpaper paste. Wallpaper paste of old was
          (methyl-)cellulose. Since the 1970ies, more and more additives have 'contaminated' it,
          meaning polyvenyl, fungicides, softeners and other undesirable stuff. Now it is next to
          impossible to find mc-wallpaper paste. Using pure mc would be the safe alternative.

          Apart from that no one can say for sure what the additives do to the paper in the long run,
          none of them is what I'd like on my hands, let alone on the hands of children.

          Susanne Krause

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Angela Drake <angiedrake@...> wrote:

          > When I first learned how to marble in Germany, I used boxed wallpaper paste.
          > It came in powdered form and I added warm water. It performed very closely
          > to carrageenan - the control wasn't as fine but good for teaching beginners
          > and children or for practicing new technique. I can't find the same product
          > in the US but perhaps things have changed in the past ten years. I wish I
          > knew what the ingredients were but I'm afraid I can't remember! Maybe
          > someone living in Germany would know?
          >
          > Angie

        • Maria Vernersson
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2006
            Hi all

            What is an emersion blender???

            maria
          • Lavinia Adler
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2006
              I almost asked this myself, Maria, but decided to google it. Turns out
              it's a hand held, wand-like implement with fairly small blades. They
              range greatly in price, 'though I imagine for purposes of blending size
              you wouldn't need anything fancy. I'm hitting the stores today to see
              some "in person".

              Lavinia

              On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:00:20 +0100 "Maria Vernersson"