Mixing methods, was Alternative sizes

  • luannesews2001
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2006
      I have an immersion blender for doing smaller batches and a "boat
      motor" mixer blades on a long shaft that fits my big drill for doing
      larger batches. Both of them work well, but the immersion blender
      takes longer and seems to leave more bubbles in the size.

      Lucinda

      > I know that's true about making up the size right before.... But
      keep in mind it is best to get a large blender, that holds two quarts
      (Walmart is where mine is from) and I would suggest one TBS (rounded
      if in hard water area, needs a bit more to gel) blended in two quarts
      hot tap water ( I know many won't use it, but I have always made tap
      water work with great results no matter where... only exception is if
      it has a water softener on it, then use bottled water) until all
      lumps are gone. Just don't add the extra quart as you would if
      blending with a quart of water. I do find doing it hot works
      better.... and I still would wait an hour after pouring it into the
      tray, to bring to room temperature.

      > I used to marble this way, but find, it's just a little better if
      it sits overnight. Just my personal experience for the places I have
      marbled. But sure, if I have to marble all of a sudden, I do make the
      size an hour ahead and just get to it. Blending with hot water and
      the larger amount of water, it makes the size pretty near perfect. I
      do like the luxury of rolling out of bed and having the size ready to
      go in the morning though. Dolores is right though about this!

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2006
        I never had luck with the immersion blenders either. I like my big Walmart one, I think it's a Sunbeam or something, not near it right now. many makers have bigger models. Even if yours takes 6 cups it helps, then add 2 cups water after.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com
        I have an immersion blender for doing smaller batches and a "boat
        motor" mixer blades on a long shaft that fits my big drill for doing
        larger batches. Both of them work well, but the immersion blender
        takes longer and seems to leave more bubbles in the size.

        Lucinda

        > I know that's true about making up the size right before.... But
        keep in mind it is best to get a large blender, that holds two quarts
        (Walmart is where mine is from) and I would suggest one TBS (rounded
        if in hard water area, needs a bit more to gel) blended in two quarts
        hot tap water ( I know many won't use it, but I have always made tap
        water work with great results no matter where... only exception is if
        it has a water softener on it, then use bottled water) until all
        lumps are gone. Just don't add the extra quart as you would if
        blending with a quart of water. I do find doing it hot works
        better.... and I still would wait an hour after pouring it into the
        tray, to bring to room temperature.

        > I used to marble this way, but find, it's just a little better if
        it sits overnight. Just my personal experience for the places I have
        marbled. But sure, if I have to marble all of a sudden, I do make the
        size an hour ahead and just get to it. Blending with hot water and
        the larger amount of water, it makes the size pretty near perfect. I
        do like the luxury of rolling out of bed and having the size ready to
        go in the morning though. Dolores is right though about this!

        > Iris Nevins
        > www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>>

      • Angela Drake
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2006
          When I first learned how to marble in Germany, I used boxed wallpaper paste.
          It came in powdered form and I added warm water. It performed very closely
          to carrageenan - the control wasn't as fine but good for teaching beginners
          and children or for practicing new technique. I can't find the same product
          in the US but perhaps things have changed in the past ten years. I wish I
          knew what the ingredients were but I'm afraid I can't remember! Maybe
          someone living in Germany would know?

          Angie
        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2006
            It depends on when you learned with wallpaper paste. Wallpaper paste of old was
            (methyl-)cellulose. Since the 1970ies, more and more additives have 'contaminated' it,
            meaning polyvenyl, fungicides, softeners and other undesirable stuff. Now it is next to
            impossible to find mc-wallpaper paste. Using pure mc would be the safe alternative.

            Apart from that no one can say for sure what the additives do to the paper in the long run,
            none of them is what I'd like on my hands, let alone on the hands of children.

            Susanne Krause

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Angela Drake <angiedrake@...> wrote:

            > When I first learned how to marble in Germany, I used boxed wallpaper paste.
            > It came in powdered form and I added warm water. It performed very closely
            > to carrageenan - the control wasn't as fine but good for teaching beginners
            > and children or for practicing new technique. I can't find the same product
            > in the US but perhaps things have changed in the past ten years. I wish I
            > knew what the ingredients were but I'm afraid I can't remember! Maybe
            > someone living in Germany would know?
            >
            > Angie

          • Maria Vernersson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2006
              Hi all

              What is an emersion blender???

              maria
            • Lavinia Adler
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 29, 2006
                I almost asked this myself, Maria, but decided to google it. Turns out
                it's a hand held, wand-like implement with fairly small blades. They
                range greatly in price, 'though I imagine for purposes of blending size
                you wouldn't need anything fancy. I'm hitting the stores today to see
                some "in person".

                Lavinia

                On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:00:20 +0100 "Maria Vernersson"