marbling bookss

  • Marie Palowoda
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
      john and all,
      yes, diane's books are good.  another excellent one which may be of more use to novice marblers is 'marbling; a complete guide to creating beautiful patterned papers and fabrics'  c1991, crescent books.  it has more detailed info about the basics than the later one.

      speaking of books, one of the features i would like to include in the international marblers' clearinghouse directory is a bibliography.  if any of you have a book or list of books that you think should be included, please send the infor to me (title, author, date, publisher).

      for those of you who have not heard about the clearinghouse i started working on it 2 years ago to help fill the networking void left by the two marbling journals 'ink and gall', and 'marbling bath', which both disappeared in 1995.  it is a list of marblers around the globe which is used for gathering mailings and the directory will be available by the next one in gatlinburg, tn  sept. 2002.

      a survey form will be sent to everyone on the list which will go out with one of the gathering announcements.  folks who wish to remain on the mailing list and/or want to be included in the directory will be asked to return the form to me.  non-usa people on the list have already received the survey form and have returned about 15 out of 120 mailings.

      incidently, membership on this list does not automatically put you on the mailing list.  those of you who are not on the list and wish to be, please send me your name and address. (all of you who already have are on the list).

      a while back i spoke with a publisher of fiber art and fine craft magazines about the possibility of publishing a marbling journal. i was basically told that our numbers are too small to warrant a publishing business such as theirs to do this for us.  so i would like to toss this out to the group;  i am considering starting a newsletter to go out once a year to help keep us all connected.  nothing fancy, xeroxed pages and with minimal to no editing, the articles to be whatever people send in. pretty simple. as everyone else,  i wish to remain a marbler, not an editor.  does anyone else have some ideas or something in the works, already?

      happy marbling,
      marie

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000

        Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 8:00 PM
        Subject: [Marbling] marbling bookss

        a while back i spoke with a publisher of fiber art and fine craft magazines about the possibility of publishing a marbling journal. i was basically told that our numbers are too small to warrant a publishing business such as theirs to do this for us.  so i would like to toss this out to the group;  i am considering starting a newsletter to go out once a year to help keep us all connected.  nothing fancy, xeroxed pages and with minimal to no editing, the articles to be whatever people send in. pretty simple. as everyone else,  i wish to remain a marbler, not an editor.  does anyone else have some ideas or something in the works, already?

                I would definitely be interested in helping with this. Keep me in mind if you progress with this!
        Jill
      • John Ang
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
          A comprehensive bibliography of marbling books can be found at the
          book list at http://www.philobiblon.com/marbling.htm

          By the way, who knows where I can purchase Diane's book that was
          mentioned.

          --- In Marbling@egroups.com, "Marie Palowoda" <marie@c...> wrote:
          > john and all,
          > yes, diane's books are good. another excellent one which may be of
          more use to novice marblers is 'marbling; a complete guide to
          creating beautiful patterned papers and fabrics' c1991, crescent
          books. it has more detailed info about the basics than the later one.

          > speaking of books, one of the features i would like to include in
          the international marblers' clearinghouse directory is a
          bibliography. if any of you have a book or list of books that you
          think should be included, please send the infor to me (title, author,
          date, publisher).
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2000
            Dear John,

            You can also order Diane's book directly from her.
            Contact her at dkmaurer@.... The book is $24.95 plus $4.00 shipping.
            She is a good writer, covers info for suminagashi, watercolor, acrylic and
            oil marbling. It also has a broad selection of other marblers' work. She
            has another good one called "Paper Art...the complete guide to papercraft
            techniques".

            Best, Laura

            http://profiles.msn.com