How'd I miss this group!?

  • ericmeier
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi there,

      I'm a new member - just joined up about a week ago. I have no idea how I
      ever missed this site! I remember searching for every marbling site I
      could possibly find, and yet somehow missed this one. I think I even did
      a search for a "marbling forum" too!

      It is really neat to see that a lot of people on here are names that I
      actually recognize as authors of books I read on marbling.

      As for me, I use methyl cellulose, with acrylic paints. I tried getting
      into caraageenan once, but... I'll just say it didn't work out. =) Maybe
      someday I'll try again....

      I like to see others' marbled creations, and it seems that each person
      has not only their own way of doing things, but also their own 'style'
      that you can sense just by looking at their papers. Personally, I'm very
      picky, and about 1/2 of all my prints, upon taking them off of the bath,
      I fold up and toss directly in the garbage. Heh, but I do get ones that
      I like on occasion! =D Sort of for fun, I scanned some of my papers (I
      started off with regular 8.5 x11 copy paper, which was both easy to
      marble and scan into the computer), and put them online. If you want,
      you can see my gallery here.
      <http://www.freewebs.com/chromatictransport/gallery.html>

      Well, I'm sure I'll be referencing this group many times in the days to
      come. Even though I've been marbling on and off for about two years now,
      I still consider myself a total newbie.

      Eric Meier

    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
        Hi Eric,

        you should stop throwing out sheets. It's not only that you can use them for double
        marbling, they are also an important part of your work. You can judge a sheet for sure
        only after it has dried - in some cases even after it has dried and you have 'slept over it',
        as the German expression goes, i.e. after you have gained something of an objective way
        of perceiving it. If you're not satisfied with a result, you want to avoid that the mistake
        happens again, right? So what you do is make notes of everything, from materials to tools
        to the weather and keep samples of the sheets. That way, you'll soon have an archive to
        refer to in case of problems. The archive will not give you anything like a guarantee, far
        from it, but it helps a lot.
        It's two years of marbling with you? It's also two years of experience diminished by binning
        too early!

        Susanne Krause

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "ericmeier" <ejmeier@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm a new member - just joined up about a week ago. I have no idea how I
        > ever missed this site! I remember searching for every marbling site I
        > could possibly find, and yet somehow missed this one. I think I even did
        > a search for a "marbling forum" too!
        >
        > It is really neat to see that a lot of people on here are names that I
        > actually recognize as authors of books I read on marbling.
        >
        > As for me, I use methyl cellulose, with acrylic paints. I tried getting
        > into caraageenan once, but... I'll just say it didn't work out. =) Maybe
        > someday I'll try again....
        >
        > I like to see others' marbled creations, and it seems that each person
        > has not only their own way of doing things, but also their own 'style'
        > that you can sense just by looking at their papers. Personally, I'm very
        > picky, and about 1/2 of all my prints, upon taking them off of the bath,
        > I fold up and toss directly in the garbage. Heh, but I do get ones that
        > I like on occasion! =D Sort of for fun, I scanned some of my papers (I
        > started off with regular 8.5 x11 copy paper, which was both easy to
        > marble and scan into the computer), and put them online. If you want,
        > you can see my gallery here.
        > <http://www.freewebs.com/chromatictransport/gallery.html>
        >
        > Well, I'm sure I'll be referencing this group many times in the days to
        > come. Even though I've been marbling on and off for about two years now,
        > I still consider myself a total newbie.
        >
        > Eric Meier

      • ericmeier
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
          Maybe I exaggerated a litte, maybe its more like 1/3 of the sheets I
          throw away. But, that's just the way I am. =)I think I might be
          somewhat of a perfectionist. Its a lot like flushing a toilet - not
          everything that you make is going to look great! (Nor should it be
          kept.) But, that's just my own opinion.

          But, I do find it a good idea to take notes on things. Most notably, I
          think I'll write down the EXACT names/model numbers of the paints that
          have worked for me, and which haven't. That is one thing that is hit
          or miss.

          But for the wasted sheets, I have tried overmarbling, but a lot of
          times it looks a little strange, and it seems like lighter colored
          sheets do best for being overmarbled, with darker colors as the top
          layer. Most of the time, its nothing technically wrong with the print,
          its just that the colors look.... ugly. It didn't come out as I had
          envisioned it. (Though sometimes that can be a good thing.) But if I
          think that there is ANY chance at all that I might like it, or if I
          think it will "grow on me" with time, I'll keep it.

          Sorry if my wasteful ways have offended anyone, but I'm going to
          continue to ball up whatever I don't like. =D
        • Lavinia Adler
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
            Eric --
            Your work is very nice, your website well- designed and articulately
            written. The last is most surprising in one so young! Somewhere in the
            U.S. they must still be teaching English!

            Lavinia