cold marbling on glass or combing hot glass rods

  • Oguzhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      do electronic files gather dust ?

      this topic did appear some (long) time ago.

      The marbled glass that we see and hear of being made,
      is and/or could be similar to that of marbling on tiles.

      Many Turkish Ebru artists/craftspeople have applied
      and successful ones are marketing their products.

      Though it is a matter of taste,the colours in this cold application
      are rather pastel tones and have not seen more vivid coloured examples
      as of yet.
      My observation is limited to those which are made in Turkey,
      and those that I have been able to see.

      I remember announcing an exhibition of marbled glass on this forum.

      Also ,I announced once that combed patterns of ancient glass
      must have inspired marblers since there 4-5000 year old combed glass
      examples but the earliest date for marbled paper ...

      what do you people call over there :

      spring chicken !

      Dear Jake has already briefed us but I could not help myself;
      in combing hot glass one takes stringers and lays them side by side
      after the kiln temperature is close to melting temperatures
      the lid is opened and with the help of a tungsten rake (tool)
      and of course asbestos gloves all the way to shoulders
      one can pull and manipulate the -passed out !- rods
      into combing patterns.

      and this can be repeated many times -reheating-combing-reheating

      There are hot glass web sites which define the process
      much better.

      Hikmet Barutcugil marbled plexiglass -among many other things he
      could lay his hands on - wood,leather,silk,cloth,etc...

      Tom Leech and Nelle Tresselt honoured us by marbling our hand made
      Khotanese mulberry bark papers after several hundred years of
      neglect.
      (Turkish marblers claim that this art comes from Central Asia
      where also these papers are coming from !!)

      I would suggest anyone who would like to try this cold application,
      to have the glass surface sandblasted to enable the pigments
      have a grip on the glass;

      or else the pigments may face the danger of being peeled
      either on their own with time and temperature changes,
      or you can even scrape it yourself
      to see how firm it hangs on to it.

      we are still hanging in there,

      EBRUPA news