Marbling tray for silk scarf

  • Guffey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
      It isn't hard to build a wooden rectangle from lath strips. Make two, one slightly larger than the length & width of the scarf then another one slightly larger than the first so that it slips over the other one. Use a heavy duty plastic to line the larger rectangle and then place the smaller rectangle down into the first. Think of it as a four-sided embroidery hoop with the two rectangles keeping the plastic taut. No need to build a bottom for the tray. The plastic can be used over many times, and the whole tray is very light weight and easy to store.

      Have fun.

      d. guffey

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
        Thank you so much!!! Your analogy to the embroidery hoop was most helpful!
        I am unfamiliar with lath strips, but they must be smooth, so as not to snag the silk? Can I find lath strips anywhere, like Home Depot or Lowes?

        Thanks again,
        Judy

        ---- Guffey <dguff@...> wrote:
        > It isn't hard to build a wooden rectangle from lath strips. Make two, one slightly larger than the length & width of the scarf then another one slightly larger than the first so that it slips over the other one. Use a heavy duty plastic to line the larger rectangle and then place the smaller rectangle down into the first. Think of it as a four-sided embroidery hoop with the two rectangles keeping the plastic taut. No need to build a bottom for the tray. The plastic can be used over many times, and the whole tray is very light weight and easy to store.
        >
        > Have fun.
        >
        > d. guffey

      • Guffey
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
          Hi,

          I just checked with my husband, who built it for me, that they were probably 1 x 3 fir strips. Just go to any building supply store and say you want a smooth strip to build a frame and they can help you.

          Have fun,

          d.guffey