drop bottles

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
      Thanks Jake and the two Susannes for your replies. I will follow
      these up. I think the "squirt bottles" you mentioned from Colophon
      (Susanne M.) may be their drop bottles with a marble inside? I have
      tried these with mixed success.
      And thanks Susanne K. for your offer of help in finding the bottles.

      Jake, I have tried hair dye bottles, and am intrigued by your pin in
      the top trick. I am wondering why it doesn't shoot out with the
      paint? I have this very funny mental image of the whole thing in my
      hands. As a non sequitur, did you know that some people have
      absolutely no mental images, and have to look at photos after a
      holiday to remember what they saw? Unimaginable.

      This list is fantastic, isn't it? A simple query brings immediate
      response. It is like opening one's hands to receive manna from heaven.

      Thanks again, Joan
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
        Joan,

        I don't really have to squeeze the bottles.
        Just the gentlest pressure is needed.
        The pin basically regulates the drip flow.
        It will shoot out the tip if you squeeze hard.
        In addition, I don't invert the bottle, but hold it sideways.
        You have to develop the right touch to squeeze slightly, and then release pressure, and do
        the right "flicking motion" upward to keep it from dripping down the sides. With practice,
        you get used to it.

        As with so many things, it is not always the tool that is the problem, but just how the
        operator handles the tool. Many try something once or twice, find it problematic, then
        give up and proclaim "I don't like it" or "it doesn't work". Yet in many cases all that is
        required is a different approach or adjustment. Patient, careful observation, an
        adjustment in approach, and then practice till you get the hang of it. I find this true of
        most things in marbling.

        That said, I've not tried the very small Deka bottles with tiny narrow tips, but suspect that
        the same is true.

        Jake