Re: [Marbling] Re: Alcohol in paints &c.

  • Fred Chang
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
      Dear Iris:

      Thank you for sharing so much of your experience in
      marbling and paints. I am constantly amazed at how
      much you are willing to share, I personally think you
      should start up a 900 # line for marbling tips!

      Regards,

      Fred Chang

      P.S. For other novice marblers like myself, Iris has
      written an excellent booklet on 105 Marbling Tips and
      Hints, various observations she's made through her
      marbling trials. I highly recommend it.

      Conversely, I would steer novice marblers away from
      Gabrielle Gruenebaum's book on marbling (Dover Pubs).
      It may be very affordable, but until you've actually
      seen the process Ms. Gruenebaum's book will be of
      absolutely no help whatsoever. It leaves the reader
      even more confused about the process of marbling,
      which used to be quite a jealously guarded secret in
      centuries past.

      --- irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:
      > This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the
      > marbling supply business is
      > part of the way I make my living.

      =====
      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • John Ang Cheng Siew
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
        Thanks Iris for your sharing your experience in marbling.

        At 07:53 AM 10-10-2000 -0400, you wrote:
        >This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the marbling supply business is
        >part of the way I make my living. I have literally spent a fortune and a
        >lot of time trying to figure this out, but were it not the way I make my
        >living I would publish it all immediately. Perhaps someday I will. I don't
        >mean to be secretive or insincere on this matter, but I hope people will
        >understand that I cannot afford to give away what I have struggled with and
        >developed for so many years. I will as always, advise as well as I can on
        >the marbling techniques and problems.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        .
        .-P

        John Ang Cheng Siew
        My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
          Dear Fred,

          hey, thanks a lot for the advice, especially since I just read Gruenebaum's
          book AGAIN last night, and decided there was no way I was going to figure
          out the techniques for preparing the materials to even get ready for
          marbling, after finishing that book again!! I really look forward to
          studying the subject as much as possible and it helps to have some advice on
          sources of material!! I hope to order Iris's book soon!!

          thanks again,

          Laura

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
            I heard the problem with Gabrielle's book was in the translation from
            German. Supposedly the German version it was distilled from made sense,
            though I don't read German. Gabrielle is certainly a competent marbler who
            knows what she is doing.

            Iris