coffee art and salep

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2006
      Well, John, these colors do float, and I think the pigments used are
      all naturally occurring!

      I've heard of a similar activity in Turkey, when drinking a cup of
      SALEP. Cinnamon is sprinkled over the top, and some told me that as
      children, they would play with floating spice.

      Any of our Turkish friends care to elaborate? Traditional family
      recipes? Unfortunately much of what was commonly sold in powder form
      was heavily adulterated with starch.

      Here is a recipe:

      http://superluminal.com/cookbook/beverages_sahlab.html

      Salep, also called by the name Sahlap or Sahlab in other sountries in
      the region, is a traditional marbling size. Halfer knew of it, and
      praised it highly in his chpater on various sizings, but commented
      that it was too expensive, even back then.

      The reason is that it is a kind of orchid root. Over in England, you
      have a kind that grows in the wild, and is called "Early purple
      Orchid". The Latin name is Orchis Mascula. Try doing a google image
      search and see pretty flowers. I have tried to get it, cannot seem to
      find live plants here in the US.

      Jake