RE: [Marbling] New Mexico....

  • Thomas D' Aquin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
      dear mr leech just read the wonderful messafe you postd to the marbling
      group. you mentioned how you liked concentric circles. since most of my
      marblings are begun with concen tric circles I would like to send you some
      laser prints via snail mail. my xcomputer knowlewdge is not good wenough to
      send them by the net. so please send me a currewnt snail mail address and i
      will get them in the mail. omas d'aquin>From: leech541@...
> [...]
      >
      >Last week my wife and I were camping at Chaco Canyon and were poured on
      >during dinner one evening. All the other campers sought refuge in their
      >tents, but
      >Kathleen and I donned rain gear, toasted the heavens, and ate out in the
      >rain.
      >Later I figured out that everyone else was from out of state. For us, rain
      >is
      >still a gift. Reminds me of what I learned from Oz in Istanbul - that for
      >some, an umbrella is an offence to Allah for the offering of rain.
      >
      >Perhaps the photo illustrates why I am so attracted to marbled concentric
      >overlays. I would recommend to any marbler taking the time to watch
      >raindrops on
      >a lake (if you are lucky enough to have rain, that is!) Right now I flash
      >back
      >a few years to standing on a wooden bridge in the rain next to the 8th
      >Century poet Tu Fu's cottage in Chengdu, China. In the creek below I
      >pondered the
      >millions of raindrops falling, thinking of each as an annual ring in a
      >tree, or
      >the annual year of one's life, and the millions of lives growing,
      >overlapping
      >and vanishing in an instant.
      >
      >Marblers, take the time to think about time! Hopefully, it will slow you
      >down
      >to a pace more in step with the universe. Our trip last week also took us
      >the Grand Canyon. Talk about feeling small and humble and insignificant. At
      >Chaco we thought about the vanished culture of 700 to a thousand years ago.
      >At
      >the Grand Canyon, a thousand years is a but a second compared to the 6
      >million
      >years it took rain and wind to gouge out the gorge, and that is but a
      >second
      >compared to the 1.2 billion years of rock laid out before your eyes. And
      >the
      >color! Should anything approaching it ever end up in my tank I will
      >consider
      >myself blessed.
      >
      >As a sorry aside, a ranger told me that the new Superintendent at Chaco
      >Canyon National Historic Park is a politically appointed creationist, who
      >maintains
      >that all the rock at Chaco (which includes plentiful deposits of fossilized
      >sea life) was formed at the Creation - 6,000 years ago!)
      >
      >But enough musing.
      >
      >I also want to tell everyone that our show, Rebirth of a Craft: Paper
      >Marbling in New Mexico, opens on Friday, September 8 at the DW WIlliams Art
      >Center at
      >New Mexcio State University in Las Cruces. The show has traveled a fair
      >amount this summer and was at Ghost Ranch, near Geogia OKeeffe's house, in
      >June.
      >Olaf and Barbara were able to see the show on their visit.
      >
      >Hope this finds you well, and happy marbling!

    • Thomas D' Aquin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2007
        note tom leach: If I am not mistaken , georgia o'keefe had a studio and
        gallery in santa fe.
        I recently saw a print of one of her paintings and it seemed that she may
        have ujsed the marbling
        technique in making it. do you have any inform ation on this? aquinas

> [...]
        >myself blessed.
        >
        >As a sorry aside, a ranger told me that the new Superintendent at Chaco
        >Canyon National Historic Park is a politically appointed creationist, who
        >maintains
        >that all the rock at Chaco (which includes plentiful deposits of fossilized
        >sea life) was formed at the Creation - 6,000 years ago!)
        >
        >But enough musing.
        >
        >I also want to tell everyone that our show, Rebirth of a Craft: Paper
        >Marbling in New Mexico, opens on Friday, September 8 at the DW WIlliams Art
        >Center at
        >New Mexcio State University in Las Cruces. The show has traveled a fair
        >amount this summer and was at Ghost Ranch, near Geogia OKeeffe's house, in
        >June.
        >Olaf and Barbara were able to see the show on their visit.
        >
        >Hope this finds you well, and happy marbling!

        Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
        It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07