Re: [Marbling] Re: Alcohol in paints &c.

  • Susan Lightcap
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
      Dear Marvelous Marblers,

      I have followed Iris', Laura Sims', Patti and Mimi's, Jim Leech's,
      Galen's, Don Guyot's and others' work for many years, admire the dedication
      and self-discipline that is so evident and inspiring to all, feel blessed
      beyond measure at the generous sharing and concern that have come my way
      from these folks as I have toddled down my own path as an artist.

      I remember when Laura and I were in an artists' co-op here in Asheville; she
      would come to my studio and invite me to play with her paints and such when
      she was finished marbling for the day and was always delighted to answer
      questions, smooth away frustrations, buoy up my not-so-strong
      self-confidence, as I splashed about in the gel and goo. Additionally,
      Laura loaned me her show booth when I did my first craft fair, has been
      gladly, lovingly available over the years to offer whatever she could to
      further my work.

      When I did my first show for the Southern Highlands Craft Guild, Patti and
      Mimi came by to visit and said, "You're showing only books? Aren't you
      brave!" I'd never thought of myself as being anywhere near brave, and yet,
      having heard it said , I knew that the words were coming from caring hearts,
      and so became brave.

      Jim Leech talked with me for hours about his work when we were in a show
      together last year in Washington. He could not share enough of his wisdom,
      his philosophy about the world of marbling and his place in it. Suzanne
      Martin, a papermaker and marbler, was nearby, and the three of us talked
      ourselves into hilarious exhaustion about the work we love.

      Art isn't easy, as Sondheim says, and we sacrifice and hustle in whatever
      ways we can to make it possible to do this amazing work. I say, look to the
      masters for inspiration, respect their many years of experience and hard
      work, support their work by buying their books and taking their classes. One
      of the most rewarding activities about making art of whatever sort is doing
      the research and experimentation that results in our developing a personal
      "path" that works for us as artists. With the plethora of books, not to
      mention online instructions, available, it is truly easy to learn much more
      than the basics about marbling. I suggest that rather than depend on one
      person's point of view or methods, sample widely and develop your own way.

      Best to all,
      Susan Lightcap
    • Fred Chang
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
        Dear Iris:

        Thank you for sharing so much of your experience in
        marbling and paints. I am constantly amazed at how
        much you are willing to share, I personally think you
        should start up a 900 # line for marbling tips!

        Regards,

        Fred Chang

        P.S. For other novice marblers like myself, Iris has
        written an excellent booklet on 105 Marbling Tips and
        Hints, various observations she's made through her
        marbling trials. I highly recommend it.

        Conversely, I would steer novice marblers away from
        Gabrielle Gruenebaum's book on marbling (Dover Pubs).
        It may be very affordable, but until you've actually
        seen the process Ms. Gruenebaum's book will be of
        absolutely no help whatsoever. It leaves the reader
        even more confused about the process of marbling,
        which used to be quite a jealously guarded secret in
        centuries past.

        --- irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:
        > This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the
        > marbling supply business is
        > part of the way I make my living.

        =====
        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • John Ang Cheng Siew
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
          Thanks Iris for your sharing your experience in marbling.

          At 07:53 AM 10-10-2000 -0400, you wrote:
          >This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the marbling supply business is
          >part of the way I make my living. I have literally spent a fortune and a
          >lot of time trying to figure this out, but were it not the way I make my
          >living I would publish it all immediately. Perhaps someday I will. I don't
          >mean to be secretive or insincere on this matter, but I hope people will
          >understand that I cannot afford to give away what I have struggled with and
          >developed for so many years. I will as always, advise as well as I can on
          >the marbling techniques and problems.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          .
          .-P

          John Ang Cheng Siew
          My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
        • Laura
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
            Dear Fred,

            hey, thanks a lot for the advice, especially since I just read Gruenebaum's
            book AGAIN last night, and decided there was no way I was going to figure
            out the techniques for preparing the materials to even get ready for
            marbling, after finishing that book again!! I really look forward to
            studying the subject as much as possible and it helps to have some advice on
            sources of material!! I hope to order Iris's book soon!!

            thanks again,

            Laura

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
              I heard the problem with Gabrielle's book was in the translation from
              German. Supposedly the German version it was distilled from made sense,
              though I don't read German. Gabrielle is certainly a competent marbler who
              knows what she is doing.

              Iris