[Marbling] Re: Alcohol in paints &c.

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
      This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the marbling supply business is
      part of the way I make my living. I have literally spent a fortune and a
      lot of time trying to figure this out, but were it not the way I make my
      living I would publish it all immediately. Perhaps someday I will. I don't
      mean to be secretive or insincere on this matter, but I hope people will
      understand that I cannot afford to give away what I have struggled with and
      developed for so many years. I will as always, advise as well as I can on
      the marbling techniques and problems.

      The formulas (and I stress "formulaS" because it it different for each
      pigment) are not a finished product yet either, I keep trying to improve
      them. There are many good artist's handbooks....what I will say, for those
      who want to experiment, is that it is basically a gouache or acrylic type
      formula. They have recipes in these books that ought to work for marbling.
      You may actually like them better than my paints for your own work. Mine
      (the water colors) were developed to retain the more subdued subtleties of
      papers for bookbinding prior to the 1860's. This is not a look that many
      artist marblers want. I consider myself a bookworker more than an artist,
      and therefore developed these paints so marblers who are doing work for
      restorers could have a fairly accurate looking historical paper.

      Iris Nevins
    • Susan Lightcap
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
        Dear Marvelous Marblers,

        I have followed Iris', Laura Sims', Patti and Mimi's, Jim Leech's,
        Galen's, Don Guyot's and others' work for many years, admire the dedication
        and self-discipline that is so evident and inspiring to all, feel blessed
        beyond measure at the generous sharing and concern that have come my way
        from these folks as I have toddled down my own path as an artist.

        I remember when Laura and I were in an artists' co-op here in Asheville; she
        would come to my studio and invite me to play with her paints and such when
        she was finished marbling for the day and was always delighted to answer
        questions, smooth away frustrations, buoy up my not-so-strong
        self-confidence, as I splashed about in the gel and goo. Additionally,
        Laura loaned me her show booth when I did my first craft fair, has been
        gladly, lovingly available over the years to offer whatever she could to
        further my work.

        When I did my first show for the Southern Highlands Craft Guild, Patti and
        Mimi came by to visit and said, "You're showing only books? Aren't you
        brave!" I'd never thought of myself as being anywhere near brave, and yet,
        having heard it said , I knew that the words were coming from caring hearts,
        and so became brave.

        Jim Leech talked with me for hours about his work when we were in a show
        together last year in Washington. He could not share enough of his wisdom,
        his philosophy about the world of marbling and his place in it. Suzanne
        Martin, a papermaker and marbler, was nearby, and the three of us talked
        ourselves into hilarious exhaustion about the work we love.

        Art isn't easy, as Sondheim says, and we sacrifice and hustle in whatever
        ways we can to make it possible to do this amazing work. I say, look to the
        masters for inspiration, respect their many years of experience and hard
        work, support their work by buying their books and taking their classes. One
        of the most rewarding activities about making art of whatever sort is doing
        the research and experimentation that results in our developing a personal
        "path" that works for us as artists. With the plethora of books, not to
        mention online instructions, available, it is truly easy to learn much more
        than the basics about marbling. I suggest that rather than depend on one
        person's point of view or methods, sample widely and develop your own way.

        Best to all,
        Susan Lightcap
      • Fred Chang
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
          Dear Iris:

          Thank you for sharing so much of your experience in
          marbling and paints. I am constantly amazed at how
          much you are willing to share, I personally think you
          should start up a 900 # line for marbling tips!

          Regards,

          Fred Chang

          P.S. For other novice marblers like myself, Iris has
          written an excellent booklet on 105 Marbling Tips and
          Hints, various observations she's made through her
          marbling trials. I highly recommend it.

          Conversely, I would steer novice marblers away from
          Gabrielle Gruenebaum's book on marbling (Dover Pubs).
          It may be very affordable, but until you've actually
          seen the process Ms. Gruenebaum's book will be of
          absolutely no help whatsoever. It leaves the reader
          even more confused about the process of marbling,
          which used to be quite a jealously guarded secret in
          centuries past.

          --- irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:
          > This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the
          > marbling supply business is
          > part of the way I make my living.

          =====
          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • John Ang Cheng Siew
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
            Thanks Iris for your sharing your experience in marbling.

            At 07:53 AM 10-10-2000 -0400, you wrote:
            >This always leaves me in a dilemma, since the marbling supply business is
            >part of the way I make my living. I have literally spent a fortune and a
            >lot of time trying to figure this out, but were it not the way I make my
            >living I would publish it all immediately. Perhaps someday I will. I don't
            >mean to be secretive or insincere on this matter, but I hope people will
            >understand that I cannot afford to give away what I have struggled with and
            >developed for so many years. I will as always, advise as well as I can on
            >the marbling techniques and problems.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            .
            .-P

            John Ang Cheng Siew
            My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
          • Laura
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
              Dear Fred,

              hey, thanks a lot for the advice, especially since I just read Gruenebaum's
              book AGAIN last night, and decided there was no way I was going to figure
              out the techniques for preparing the materials to even get ready for
              marbling, after finishing that book again!! I really look forward to
              studying the subject as much as possible and it helps to have some advice on
              sources of material!! I hope to order Iris's book soon!!

              thanks again,

              Laura

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2000
                I heard the problem with Gabrielle's book was in the translation from
                German. Supposedly the German version it was distilled from made sense,
                though I don't read German. Gabrielle is certainly a competent marbler who
                knows what she is doing.

                Iris