Re: Very disheartened newbie

  • Angela Drake
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2006
      Caroline,

      As much as I hate to say this, a lot of the beginning is spent in trial and error. Why it
      doesn't work the same for everybody is part of the mystery of marbling.

      A few years ago I had trouble with some paints and wrote to this group asking for advice.
      I got some great suggestions but most of them were to not use the paints I was using
      because no one else had experience with them and they thought they were the largest
      problem. I loved these paints so I experimented until I found a solution.

      The point is, you can try changing to what other people do, but in the long run it needs to
      work for you. If you like the paints, spend some time trying to figure them out. If the
      paints won't spread no matter what (I don't use distilled water either), you can try a drop
      of Syntrapol in the solution. Or you can try and thin your methylcel. Or you can make
      interesting patterns with the paint as it is (you said some spread and had funny edges).

      If your first couple of attempts are working and then your vat seems to go all funny, I
      would like to suggest that you are not skimming all of the paint of the surface in between
      attempts. That can mess up the vat. Also, using items that have been contaminated -
      combs washed with soap, tools that got splashed with an alum solution, etc. can mess up
      your vat. I had trouble in that area at first as well.

      Perseverence and remember, it is fun!

      Angie