Re: [Marbling] Re: Very disheartened newbie

  • Gail Mackenzie
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2006
      ah...if it isn't the water...but then, upon rereading I realized that
      you raised the Ph by adding ammonia, right? But, then did you add
      anything like white vinegar to lower the Ph back down? If the Ph is
      too high then...nothing works. Do you have any Ph tape available?
      Get some and start measuring. Don't throw your 2 1/2 gallons
      away..you can easily adjust the Ph at any time. . Do you know what
      kind of methyl cel you are using? Ask your supplier. There are
      several different kinds and they all have different requirements.
      ProChem is a major pain in the * product in my opinion anyhow.
      Golden flow is just about the best dispersant for any type of
      marbling products.

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2006
        In a message dated 8/24/06 6:51:05 PM, cai@... writes:

        > How does 3 1/2 TBL of Methyl Cel to 1/2 gallon of water plus 1/2 tsp
        > ammonia sound?  I don't want to make too much, I already have 2 1/2
        > gallons of it that doesn't work.

        Hi!
        WAY too thick! The recipe calls for 3-1/2 TBSP per gallon, and 1 tsp
        ammonia (non-sudsy, clear) per gallon. If the size is too thick, it won't support
        the paints, either. Some recipes have you add more ammonia. The methylcel
        does not actually dissolve, the fibers swell. It should be about the
        consistency of a rather thin syrup for your pancakes, or gelatin as it starts to
        set. If you have the methylcel already made, try thinning it to the recipe I
        gave you. I am one who likes to let it sit to "mature."

        I have used the Jacquard paints in several classes very successfully. They
        have been thinned only with distilled water. The dispersant from Pro-Chem
        is probably very similar, if not exactly the same as Photo-flo. Liquitex
        makes something called Marble-Ease, Golden makes a "flow release."

        But all this should work with no dispersant.

        We will get this worked out yet!
        HTH! Caryl

      • Angela Drake
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25, 2006
          Caroline,

          As much as I hate to say this, a lot of the beginning is spent in trial and error. Why it
          doesn't work the same for everybody is part of the mystery of marbling.

          A few years ago I had trouble with some paints and wrote to this group asking for advice.
          I got some great suggestions but most of them were to not use the paints I was using
          because no one else had experience with them and they thought they were the largest
          problem. I loved these paints so I experimented until I found a solution.

          The point is, you can try changing to what other people do, but in the long run it needs to
          work for you. If you like the paints, spend some time trying to figure them out. If the
          paints won't spread no matter what (I don't use distilled water either), you can try a drop
          of Syntrapol in the solution. Or you can try and thin your methylcel. Or you can make
          interesting patterns with the paint as it is (you said some spread and had funny edges).

          If your first couple of attempts are working and then your vat seems to go all funny, I
          would like to suggest that you are not skimming all of the paint of the surface in between
          attempts. That can mess up the vat. Also, using items that have been contaminated -
          combs washed with soap, tools that got splashed with an alum solution, etc. can mess up
          your vat. I had trouble in that area at first as well.

          Perseverence and remember, it is fun!

          Angie