Which Acrylics

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      My wife and I are marbling on paper and fabric. The colors are
      being floated on a mixture of carragheenan and water. So far we have
      used Golden, Winsor Newton, and Liquitex acrylics as our colors. We
      are controlling their dispersion by diluting the acrylics. So far the
      Golden acrylics seem to work best and some of the Winsor Newton
      Galleria colors works ok but the other acrylics we've tried turn out
      pastel and washed out. Are there some colors that function better than
      others for marbling because of their pigment or is it a matter of the
      concentration of pigment by brand? What determines the ability to get
      intense colors rather than pastel washed out color?

      Here are a few things that we have found work well. We have
      used the metallic Jacquard powdered pigment mixed with acrylic gloss
      medium and gotten excellent results on dark colored paper. Also for a
      marbling tray we use a plastic box photo frame (which can be purchased
      at most hobby or craft shops), the one we use is 16" X 20" and about an
      inch deep.