Re: [Marbling] alum

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
      I don't think the later solution is less weak. It may cloud a bit from "paper sludge" absobed by the sponge you keep dipping in, but I have never had any alum weakening, except in cases where you marble "damp" and if it sits too long, especially in hot humid weather, the alum seems to go a bit weak, all the way to totally ineffective.

      After nearly three decades of marbling I concluded, at least for myself, the best and easiest way to deal with paper and alum is to alum ahead, as much as I want, hundreds of sheets if I want, and to alum in 55% humidity or less, and to also store the papers in the same humidity (after line drying overnight and flattening under boards). I have experimented on papers kept for many years this way and the alum is still good.

      As for fabric, I would do the same, though I wouldn't keep the fabric once alumed for years....allegedly the alum can corrode the fabric. It has never seemed to corrode any paper though. I use half strength alum on fabric and it works fine.

      iris nevins
      http://marblingpaper.com<http://marblingpaper.com/>