Re: [Marbling] Re: beginner trouble

  • Patrice Webb
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
      Where is OKC? Do you, or does anyone know of any classes here in Vancouver Canada?

      Thanks.

      Pat.

      principledmom1 <anna@...> wrote:
      Iris,

      as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
      OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

      Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

      Anna-Marie

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

      > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
      >
      > Anna-Marie
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
      helps.
      > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
      See if

      www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http:/

      Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbl
      ing@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>>

      > > > Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 10:50 AM
      > > > Subject: [Marbling] beginner trouble
      > > >

      > > > I love marbling but I am having some trouble that I hope
      to get
      > > some
      > > > help with.
      > > >
      > > > 1) My colors are not vibrant. I am using alum and marbling
      the
      > > alum
      > > > side. They are weak colors when I pull them off the gel. I
      have
      > > been
      > > > using watercolors and Dye-na-flo paints. When Peggy
      Skycraft
      > > uses
      > > > these paints they turn out very vibrant.
      > > >
      > > > 2) the paper never seems to get all the gel off. It is
      still
      > > slimy
      > > > from the gel after I rinse for at least 30 seconds. Is
      this
      > > normal?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance for your help. Any advice is very
      welcome. I
      > > look
      > > > forward to some success and to use the papers in my
      bookmaking.

      > > > Anna-Marie
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mary Shilman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
        Dear Patrice,

        Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.

        FYI, www.marbling.org lists classes and exhibits as notified - I'm sure there are marbling teachers in Canada - perhaps check for Book Arts groups, at least in the US they are places that periodically offer marbling classes. And regional arts centers.

        And for you Canadian marblers - let us know about your classes and exhibits - we try to update our list monthly and would love to hear from you. (that goes for marblers everywhere). Our deadline for entry is the 15th of each month, instructions are on the site.

        Mary Shilman

        principledmom1 <anna@...> wrote:
        Iris,

        as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
        OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

        Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

        Anna-Marie

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

        > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
        >
        > Anna-Marie
        >
        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
        helps.
        > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
        See if
        > that works.
        > >
        > > iris nevins
        > > www.marblingpaper.com