Re: beginner trouble

  • principledmom1
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
      Iris,

      Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
      package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
      the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
      water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
      The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

      Thanks for your help,
      Anna-Marie

      > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
      like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
      are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
      rinse?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
        Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it helps. Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes. See if that works.

        iris nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
        package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
        the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
        water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
        The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

        Thanks for your help,
        Anna-Marie

        > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
        like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
        are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
        rinse?

        > irisnevins
        > www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

      • principledmom1
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
          I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.

          Anna-Marie

          "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:

          > > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
          > like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
          > are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
          > rinse?
          > >
          > > irisnevins

          www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

        • principledmom1
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
            Iris,

            as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
            OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

            Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

            Anna-Marie

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

            > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
            >
            > Anna-Marie
            >
            > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
            helps.
            > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
            See if
            > that works.
            > >
            > > iris nevins
            > > www.marblingpaper.com

          • Patrice Webb
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
              Where is OKC? Do you, or does anyone know of any classes here in Vancouver Canada?

              Thanks.

              Pat.

            • Mary Shilman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                Dear Patrice,

                Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.

                FYI, www.marbling.org lists classes and exhibits as notified - I'm sure there are marbling teachers in Canada - perhaps check for Book Arts groups, at least in the US they are places that periodically offer marbling classes. And regional arts centers.

                And for you Canadian marblers - let us know about your classes and exhibits - we try to update our list monthly and would love to hear from you. (that goes for marblers everywhere). Our deadline for entry is the 15th of each month, instructions are on the site.

                Mary Shilman

                principledmom1 <anna@...> wrote:
                Iris,

                as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
                OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

                Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

                Anna-Marie

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

                > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
                >
                > Anna-Marie
                >
                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
                helps.
                > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
                See if
                > that works.
                > >
                > > iris nevins
                > > www.marblingpaper.com