Re: [Marbling] beginner trouble

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
      What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you rinse?

      irisnevins
      www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
        Iris,

        Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
        package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
        the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
        water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
        The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

        Thanks for your help,
        Anna-Marie

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
          Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it helps. Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes. See if that works.

          iris nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
          package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
          the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
          water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
          The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

          Thanks for your help,
          Anna-Marie

          > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
          like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
          are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
          rinse?

          > irisnevins
          > www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

        • principledmom1
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
            I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.

            Anna-Marie

            "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:

            > > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
            > like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
            > are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
            > rinse?
            > >
            > > irisnevins

            www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

          • principledmom1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
              Iris,

              as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
              OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

              Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

              Anna-Marie

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

              > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
              >
              > Anna-Marie
              >
              > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
              helps.
              > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
              See if
              > that works.
              > >
              > > iris nevins
              > > www.marblingpaper.com

            • Patrice Webb
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                Where is OKC? Do you, or does anyone know of any classes here in Vancouver Canada?

                Thanks.

                Pat.

              • Mary Shilman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                  Dear Patrice,

                  Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.

                  FYI, www.marbling.org lists classes and exhibits as notified - I'm sure there are marbling teachers in Canada - perhaps check for Book Arts groups, at least in the US they are places that periodically offer marbling classes. And regional arts centers.

                  And for you Canadian marblers - let us know about your classes and exhibits - we try to update our list monthly and would love to hear from you. (that goes for marblers everywhere). Our deadline for entry is the 15th of each month, instructions are on the site.

                  Mary Shilman

                  principledmom1 <anna@...> wrote:
                  Iris,

                  as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
                  OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

                  Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

                  Anna-Marie

                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

                  > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
                  >
                  > Anna-Marie
                  >
                  > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
                  helps.
                  > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
                  See if
                  > that works.
                  > >
                  > > iris nevins
                  > > www.marblingpaper.com