beginner trouble

  • principledmom1
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
      I love marbling but I am having some trouble that I hope to get some
      help with.

      1) My colors are not vibrant. I am using alum and marbling the alum
      side. They are weak colors when I pull them off the gel. I have been
      using watercolors and Dye-na-flo paints. When Peggy Skycraft uses
      these paints they turn out very vibrant.

      2) the paper never seems to get all the gel off. It is still slimy
      from the gel after I rinse for at least 30 seconds. Is this normal?

      Thanks in advance for your help. Any advice is very welcome. I look
      forward to some success and to use the papers in my bookmaking.

      Anna-Marie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
        What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you rinse?

        irisnevins
        www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
          Iris,

          Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
          package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
          the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
          water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
          The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

          Thanks for your help,

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
            Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it helps. Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes. See if that works.

            iris nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            Yes the gel is carageenan, mixed according to the recipe on the
            package (2 tablespoons per gallon of water). The paint does stick to
            the paper but it seems to wash off some with the gel. The paints are
            water-based fabric dye that you can get at most art supply stores.
            The watercolors are Yarka (Russian).

            Thanks for your help,
            Anna-Marie

            > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
            like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
            are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
            rinse?

            > irisnevins
            > www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

          • principledmom1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
              I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.

              Anna-Marie

              "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:

              > > What is the "GEL"...is it carrageenan? Whatever it is it sounds
              > like it's too thick. Don't know what those paints are. What paper
              > are you using, does the paint at least stick to the paper when you
              > rinse?
              > >
              > > irisnevins

              www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com<http://www.http:/marblingpaper.com>>

            • principledmom1
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                Iris,

                as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
                OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

                Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

                Anna-Marie

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

                > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
                >
                > Anna-Marie
                >
                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
                helps.
                > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
                See if
                > that works.
                > >
                > > iris nevins
                > > www.marblingpaper.com

              • Patrice Webb
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                  Where is OKC? Do you, or does anyone know of any classes here in Vancouver Canada?

                  Thanks.

                  Pat.

                • Mary Shilman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                    Dear Patrice,

                    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.

                    FYI, www.marbling.org lists classes and exhibits as notified - I'm sure there are marbling teachers in Canada - perhaps check for Book Arts groups, at least in the US they are places that periodically offer marbling classes. And regional arts centers.

                    And for you Canadian marblers - let us know about your classes and exhibits - we try to update our list monthly and would love to hear from you. (that goes for marblers everywhere). Our deadline for entry is the 15th of each month, instructions are on the site.

                    Mary Shilman

                    principledmom1 <anna@...> wrote:
                    Iris,

                    as an update, I took the last slot in a class with Galen Berry in
                    OKC next month. I know I'll get the answers to my frustration there.

                    Here's to hoping my papers turn out well!

                    Anna-Marie

                    --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "principledmom1" <anna@...> wrote:

                    > I will try that. Thanks so much Iris.
                    >
                    > Anna-Marie
                    >
                    > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Still, you could try watering it down slightly to see if it
                    helps.
                    > Some carrageenan can be stronger from batch to batch sometimes.
                    See if
                    > that works.
                    > >
                    > > iris nevins
                    > > www.marblingpaper.com