marbling cloth/textile

  • oguzhan tugrul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2006
      Early eighties,I remember Hikmet Barut from Istanbul,
      marbling curtains for a high end hotel in the mediterranean
      (Hotel Serapsu 10 miles from Alanya)

      He had devised a machine ,the cloth would be pulled from the roll
      and dipped in the huge vat (1.5 m x 2 m) (or at least close to this dimension)
      meanwhile 2 helpers were pulling it away from the vat.

      I do not know what happened to his gadget !
      but one could marble miles long !!!!!!!!!!

      without having to cut the cloth.

      He was kind to marble some 60ft of silk for me,
      I do not remember what he charged,

      but it was another credit to his adventures of marbling any surface........

      one hears of marbling machines in Europe in the last century,
      mostly for book arts,

      now I realise it was some feat by Hikmet.

      cordially,

      oz