Re: [Marbling] mixing paints

  • Mary Shilman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
      Hi -

      It's actually been quite a number of years since I have marbled but my understanding of the process is that oxgall and alum react to attach the paint to the paper (a somewhat simplified version of the process) - if the colors are washing off it means that the alum solution has not covered or penetrated the paper completely. I usually marbled with Colophon colors but I think that when I took a class with acrylics oxgall was added to the paints then as well.

      Mary

      sanpatty <sanpatty@...> wrote:
      Hello fellow marblers,

      congratulations on the wonderful examples of your work I've seen
      here.

      I've had very little success with a half dozen or so attempts at
      marbling...mostly the paints seems to mix too much with each other,
      the size seems to stick to my paper and the results mostly get
      washed off when I rinse off the size. I have been using water based
      acrylic paints on a carrageenan size and have been treating the
      paper with alum before laying it down. I have heard that soft water
      can affect the process, and I wonder if that's what's making my
      paints so hard to keep seperate. I'm confused because I know they
      are supposed to be thin enough to spread out on the surface, but I
      feel like if they're too think they don't leave a very bold
      impression on the paper.

      I just do this for fun, so although I have considered buying some
      paints specially mixed for marbling I'm worried that if it's
      something else in the process that's hindering my ability to make
      clear prints I will only be frustrated by the expenditure.

      Any ideas on how to accurately measure paints for mixing? The only
      thing I could think of is a small fairly accurate scale.

      Is it normal to find it this difficult to get decnt results?

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Sanpatty

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
        Mary, more times than not these days it is the paper's fault. Nearly all domestic papers are too loaded with calcium carbonate, which repels colors. You need very little alum. If the paper is stored for days after aluming and not allowed to dry, it can make the alum weak too.

        I have never had oxgall have any decent effect on acrylics, best to use diluted Photo-flo if you need it.

        iris nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
            Dear Robert,

            Have you tried Karli's website,
            http://www.karli-frigge.com/

            --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:

            > I am currently building a collection of marbled
            > papers by Karli Frigge and I am looking to buy full
            > size marbled sheets by Karli Frigge.... I am
            > specifically looking for her bouquet and peacock
            > patterns and I will pay top price for them.

            John Ang Cheng Siew

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
              No, I do not have Karli's paper

              --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:

              > Dear John
              >
              > Thanks for the response.....yes, I know of Karli
              > 's website....Yet, Karli has retired now and so she
              > doesn't make full size sheets paper now.....Thus I
              > will have to start buying them from other
              > sources.....Have you got a few sheets by karli ?
              >
              > Thanks very much...
              > Robert
              >
              > John Ang <angchengsiew@...> wrote:
              > Dear Robert,
              >
              > Have you tried Karli's website,
              > http://www.karli-frigge.com/
              >
              > --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am currently building a collection of marbled
              > > papers by Karli Frigge and I am looking to buy
              > full
              > > size marbled sheets by Karli Frigge.... I am
              > > specifically looking for her bouquet and peacock
              > > patterns and I will pay top price for them.
              >
              > John Ang Cheng Siew

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > removed]