mixing paints

  • sanpatty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hello fellow marblers,

      congratulations on the wonderful examples of your work I've seen
      here.

      I've had very little success with a half dozen or so attempts at
      marbling...mostly the paints seems to mix too much with each other,
      the size seems to stick to my paper and the results mostly get
      washed off when I rinse off the size. I have been using water based
      acrylic paints on a carrageenan size and have been treating the
      paper with alum before laying it down. I have heard that soft water
      can affect the process, and I wonder if that's what's making my
      paints so hard to keep seperate. I'm confused because I know they
      are supposed to be thin enough to spread out on the surface, but I
      feel like if they're too think they don't leave a very bold
      impression on the paper.

      I just do this for fun, so although I have considered buying some
      paints specially mixed for marbling I'm worried that if it's
      something else in the process that's hindering my ability to make
      clear prints I will only be frustrated by the expenditure.

      Any ideas on how to accurately measure paints for mixing? The only
      thing I could think of is a small fairly accurate scale.

      Is it normal to find it this difficult to get decnt results?

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Sanpatty
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
        FIrst of all, soft water is good. Water softened water from a water softener may make the colors weak and fuzzy looking, but they still usually float.

        Your best best is to use paints made specifically for marbling, you can get these from me or Colophon Book Arts Supply or a few other suppliers.

        You need to make the size right, approx. 1 tbs. blended in one quart of water....I favor hottest tap water, others like cold and/or distilled water. Add another quart of water, hot or cold and let it sit at least 12 hours before use. I have always adapted to my tap water and only use distilled for making paints. I think you can pretty much make any straight tap water work, but no water softeners.

        You need a dispersant in most cases, ox-gall for watercolor, and something like diluter Photo-flo for acrylics. Ox gall doesn't work with acrylics in most cases. You need the strength of ox gall if you use it that is good for marbling, not the stuff in art stores. Marbling suppliers sell that also.

        Paper is critical too, most American made papers do not hold the colors any longer due to excessive calcium carbonate in the pulp. If you need to buy papers from art stores, Canson generally works well. I use Natur Text and Ingres, made by Hahnemuelle in Germany.

        good luck,
        iris nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
            Mary, more times than not these days it is the paper's fault. Nearly all domestic papers are too loaded with calcium carbonate, which repels colors. You need very little alum. If the paper is stored for days after aluming and not allowed to dry, it can make the alum weak too.

            I have never had oxgall have any decent effect on acrylics, best to use diluted Photo-flo if you need it.

            iris nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
                Dear Robert,

                Have you tried Karli's website,
                http://www.karli-frigge.com/

                --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:

                > I am currently building a collection of marbled
                > papers by Karli Frigge and I am looking to buy full
                > size marbled sheets by Karli Frigge.... I am
                > specifically looking for her bouquet and peacock
                > patterns and I will pay top price for them.

                John Ang Cheng Siew

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
                  No, I do not have Karli's paper

                  --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:

                  > Dear John
                  >
                  > Thanks for the response.....yes, I know of Karli
                  > 's website....Yet, Karli has retired now and so she
                  > doesn't make full size sheets paper now.....Thus I
                  > will have to start buying them from other
                  > sources.....Have you got a few sheets by karli ?
                  >
                  > Thanks very much...
                  > Robert
                  >
                  > John Ang <angchengsiew@...> wrote:
                  > Dear Robert,
                  >
                  > Have you tried Karli's website,
                  > http://www.karli-frigge.com/
                  >
                  > --- robert wu <littlegempress@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am currently building a collection of marbled
                  > > papers by Karli Frigge and I am looking to buy
                  > full
                  > > size marbled sheets by Karli Frigge.... I am
                  > > specifically looking for her bouquet and peacock
                  > > patterns and I will pay top price for them.
                  >
                  > John Ang Cheng Siew

                  > protection around
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  > removed]