List "nettiquette", quoting, and MARBLING (bolts of fabric)

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2006
      Gretchen,

      When I reply to a posting, I can easily include not just the message you are repsonding to,
      but all of the messages from that day in or in teh discussion in general. If you are replying
      to a list, the previous messages are already posted, so there is no need to repaeat them
      all, except what you may be referring to. Quite simply, that was Jim's point, nothing more.
      Anytime you reply, just becareful to shorten what you are quoting.

      Had I seen your posting in time (I get thet digest version), I could have told you who Jim
      Tapley was, or you could have searched the message archives and found out for yourself.
      What he said wasn't "crap" (in your words), but a very valid point. In short:

      Be careful when you reply to the group that you don't include each and every message in
      reply, over and over.

      I do think the tone of his first message was courteous to you. Rather than understand his
      point, which is a very pertinent with regard good list "nettiqutte"- you seemed to take
      offense and broadcasted it to the whole list rather than write to the moderators about it
      first. It went downhill very fast from there.

      It's too bad, because Jim's actually a VERY nice guy, extremely knowledgable, kind, very
      helpful, and has offered stimulating discussion to this group before about some of the
      finer points of marbling technique and history. Just search the MESSAGE archives to get an
      idea of what we've just chased out.

      If you don't like what i'm saying, then maybe I should leave too?

      Jake

      PS- with regard to marbling entire bolts of fabric- this was developed in Japan in the 19th
      century. See instructions in the suminagashi-zome of Tokutaro Yagi. Translation
      published by Robin Heyeck

      http://www.heyeckpress.com/pages/prodserv.html