Re: [Marbling] Re: Bolts of Fabric

  • jennifer temple
    Message 1 of 14 , May 18, 2006
      Hello Gretchen,
      Check out design schools and fashion houses in your area. There is a very good chance they have a place where you can post samples. My dress maker buys the sizes I can produce and then works her patterns to the fabric. You could possibly be selling already.

      Good Luck,
      Jennifer

      gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:I sew but not well my mom sews or I take it to a seamstress. Thanks.I learned it from all the wonderfull people here......I still would also like to sell to designers. Which is why I was interested in bolt reproduction. But everything in time. Thanks for stopping by, Peace gretchen

      elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: I went, I saw, I was impressed!! Yes, Mame! That is exactly what I
      expect marbled fabrics to look like. You do wonderful stuff. Do you
      also do the sewing? I leave that to a dress maker I just supply the
      fabric.
      Respectfully,
      Jennifer

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
      <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

      > marbledfabric.com
      >
      > elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: -Hello again, Gretchen,
      > I have been looking everyy where I could think of. Where can I look at
      > your work? I would love ti see it.
      > Jennifer
      >
      > -- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'll have to agree but, I find it in bad taste to dis some one's
      > work. I on the other hand I do lovely work . I do have a studio I've
      > just moved to, to do large pieces,but I have run out of funds. please
      > direction :) thanks gretchen marbledfabric.com
      > >
      > > elpmet56 <elpmet56@> wrote: Hello Gretchen,
      > > I followed the link to " quilterstreasure.com, I can not say I am
      > > impressed. His fabrics seem to lack the strong definition I would
      > > expect from marbling. My fabrics are cotton, linen, silk and rayon.
      > > All of the natural fibers seem to take the prints well so I find it
      > > curious his prints are not stronger and more defined. I will say this,
      > > you can't beat his prices. I'm going to go back and have an other look
      > > but I don't think he is doing anything I could sell to my designers
      > > who would all like me to produce larger lengths of the patterns I have
      > > already sold them.
      > >
      > > I stopped at 60-64 inches because that was all the room in my studio
      > > and I could not fit a larger tank. - We are building hunting right now
      > > and hope to find a commercial/residential/studio place to house our
      > > rare book business, my studio and still have bath, bed and kitchen.
      > > I'll try to get bigger after we are resetteled.
      > >

      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
      > > <fine_artist2002@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Now I'm just a marbler like you,I do mostly 45"x 72 myself. Someone
      > > here may have a better answer. A man from
      > > http://www.quilterstreasure.com/ mass produces his stuff and travels
      > > around selling it. He'll be at the quilt symposium this summer in
      > > Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes.
      > > When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had
      > > ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would suspect
      > > It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com
      > > >
      > > > elpmet56 <elpmet56@> wrote: Ah! Fooey! Now I am really
      > > disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
      > > > time. It has been my ambition to do longer segments of original
      > > > marbled yardage so I guess I just have to keep up the R&D until
      I can
      > > > get there on my own.
      > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
      > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
      > thing.
      > > > Jennifer
      > > >
      > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

      > from
      > silk.
      CAN THIS

      > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
      program

      > > > Service.

      > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
      > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

      > > Service.

      > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
      > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

      > Service.

      Service.

      ---------------------------------

    • elpmet56
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2006
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
        P.S. You can now see the article about my dress maker and my work in
        my album on the groups photos, as well, some photos of other things I
        have done.
        Jennifer

        <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes.
        > > > When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had
        > > > ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would
        suspect
        > > > It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com

        > > > disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
        > I can
        > > thing.

        > > from
        > > silk.
        > 45" X
        > CAN THIS

        > degree
        > program

        > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
        program

        > > > Service.

        > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
        > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

        Service.

      • gretchen vansant
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2006
          Post samples? hummm as in billboards at the school or send samples to the school or on line . or all of the above? whats your experience posting. Maybe a dumb question but I really appreciate your info ,Gretchen

          jennifer temple <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hello Gretchen,

          <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
          I can
          > > > get there on my own.
          > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
          > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
          > thing.
          > > > Jennifer
          > > >
          > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

          > from
          > silk.
          CAN THIS

          > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
          program

          > > > Service.

          > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
          > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

          > > Service.

          > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
          > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

          Service.

          ---------------------------------

          Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 21, 2006
            Dear Jennifer,

            It has been ages since I've checked emails and was
            interested in your request since I work in silk. I
            hope the following is helpful.

            I used to marble silk for jackets. The pattern my
            seamstress designed would use the size with which I
            felt I could get optimum marbling results, 22" x 96".
            Also I continue to marble woven garment parts that a
            friend weaves, constructs and sells.
            It's that "power of limits" thing where you take the
            limitations of space,size, etc. and make them part of
            a creative solution.

            The other point to consider is the print (image) as it
            relates to application. I checked out the quilters
            treasure site. The individual seems to have used oil
            paints on his/her fabrics. Oils give a different
            visual outcome. There are types or brands that will
            allow recognizable classical patterns, but never the
            precision of watercolors (first) or acrylics (second).
            Because of their nature they can be used to create
            very organic visual/textural images.
            Back to the site...the individual is probably going
            for color and texture. Many quilters do not like to
            use classical patterns in their quilts because the
            tight,regular patterns visually dominate a quilt.
            It's use and placement have to be carefully
            considered.
            So its back to image and application.

            I used to share an apartment with a quilter friend who
            came back from a trip with what I thought was some
            quarter yards of the worst marbling I had ever seen
            that happened to be oils. However, she made a nine
            patch with them cutting them in 2" blocks and
            alternating them with a dark fabric. The result was
            lovely. Now the little blocks looked like a quilt of
            different agates and jaspers.
            That was one of my most memorable lessons in the magic
            of proportion.

            I wish you well with finding solutions that fit your
            needs.

            Best, Laura
            www.indigostonestudio.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com