Re: [Marbling] Re: Bolts of Fabric

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14 5:40 PM
      I'll have to agree but, I find it in bad taste to dis some one's work. I on the other hand I do lovely work . I do have a studio I've just moved to, to do large pieces,but I have run out of funds. please go back and look at my work,perhapes you could put me in the right direction :) thanks gretchen marbledfabric.com

      elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hello Gretchen,
      I followed the link to " quilterstreasure.com, I can not say I am
      impressed. His fabrics seem to lack the strong definition I would
      expect from marbling. My fabrics are cotton, linen, silk and rayon.
      All of the natural fibers seem to take the prints well so I find it
      curious his prints are not stronger and more defined. I will say this,
      you can't beat his prices. I'm going to go back and have an other look
      but I don't think he is doing anything I could sell to my designers
      who would all like me to produce larger lengths of the patterns I have
      already sold them.

      I stopped at 60-64 inches because that was all the room in my studio
      and I could not fit a larger tank. - We are building hunting right now
      and hope to find a commercial/residential/studio place to house our
      rare book business, my studio and still have bath, bed and kitchen.
      I'll try to get bigger after we are resetteled.

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
      <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

      > Now I'm just a marbler like you,I do mostly 45"x 72 myself. Someone
      here may have a better answer. A man from
      http://www.quilterstreasure.com/ mass produces his stuff and travels
      around selling it. He'll be at the quilt symposium this summer in
      Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes.
      When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had
      ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would suspect
      It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com

      > elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Ah! Fooey! Now I am really
      disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
      > time. It has been my ambition to do longer segments of original
      > marbled yardage so I guess I just have to keep up the R&D until I can
      > get there on my own.
      > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
      > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same thing.
      > Jennifer
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
      > <fine_artist2002@> wrote:
      > >
      > > They take pictures
      > >
      > > elpmet56 <elpmet56@> wrote: Hi All,
      > >
      > > Has anyone done full bolts of Fabric? I saw some Marbled yardage from
      > > Italy and they had somehow figured out how to do whole bolts of silk.
      > > I have done yard goods but the largest pieces I ever did were 45" X
      > > 64" and that proves challenging even with an assistent. HOW CAN THIS
      > > BE DONE?!?!?
      > > Respectfully,
      > > Jennifer

      > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
      > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

      > Service.

      > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
      Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

      Service.

      Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

    • elpmet56
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16 2:28 PM
        -Hello again, Gretchen,
        I have been looking everyy where I could think of. Where can I look at
        your work? I would love ti see it.
        Jennifer

        Message 3 of 14 , May 16 2:41 PM
          marbledfabric.com

          elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: -Hello again, Gretchen,

          Message 4 of 14 , May 16 2:55 PM
            I went, I saw, I was impressed!! Yes, Mame! That is exactly what I
            expect marbled fabrics to look like. You do wonderful stuff. Do you
            also do the sewing? I leave that to a dress maker I just supply the
            fabric.
            Respectfully,
            Jennifer

            <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
            I can
            > > > get there on my own.
            > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
            > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
            > thing.
            > > > Jennifer
            > > >
            > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

            > from
            > silk.
            CAN THIS

            > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
            program

            > > > Service.

            > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
            > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

            > > Service.

            > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
            > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

            Service.

          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 14 , May 16 3:47 PM
              I sew but not well my mom sews or I take it to a seamstress. Thanks.I learned it from all the wonderfull people here......I still would also like to sell to designers. Which is why I was interested in bolt reproduction. But everything in time. Thanks for stopping by, Peace gretchen

              elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: I went, I saw, I was impressed!! Yes, Mame! That is exactly what I

              <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
              I can
              > > > get there on my own.
              > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
              > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
              > thing.
              > > > Jennifer
              > > >
              > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

              > from
              > silk.
              CAN THIS

              > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
              program

              > > > Service.

              > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
              > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

              > > Service.

              > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
              > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

              Service.

            • jennifer temple
              Message 6 of 14 , May 18 10:14 AM
                Hello Gretchen,
                Check out design schools and fashion houses in your area. There is a very good chance they have a place where you can post samples. My dress maker buys the sizes I can produce and then works her patterns to the fabric. You could possibly be selling already.

                Good Luck,
                Jennifer

                gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:I sew but not well my mom sews or I take it to a seamstress. Thanks.I learned it from all the wonderfull people here......I still would also like to sell to designers. Which is why I was interested in bolt reproduction. But everything in time. Thanks for stopping by, Peace gretchen

                <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                I can
                > > > get there on my own.
                > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                > thing.
                > > > Jennifer
                > > >
                > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                > from
                > silk.
                CAN THIS

                > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                program

                > > > Service.

                > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                > > Service.

                > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                Service.

                ---------------------------------

              • elpmet56
                Message 7 of 14 , May 18 10:23 AM
                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
                  P.S. You can now see the article about my dress maker and my work in
                  my album on the groups photos, as well, some photos of other things I
                  have done.
                  Jennifer

                  <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes.
                  > > > When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had
                  > > > ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would
                  suspect
                  > > > It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com

                  > > > disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
                  > I can
                  > > thing.

                  > > from
                  > > silk.
                  > 45" X
                  > CAN THIS

                  > degree
                  > program

                  > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                  program

                  > > > Service.

                  > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                  > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                  Service.

                • gretchen vansant
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 18 11:31 AM
                    Post samples? hummm as in billboards at the school or send samples to the school or on line . or all of the above? whats your experience posting. Maybe a dumb question but I really appreciate your info ,Gretchen

                    jennifer temple <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hello Gretchen,

                    <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    I can
                    > > > get there on my own.
                    > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                    > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                    > thing.
                    > > > Jennifer
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                    > from
                    > silk.
                    CAN THIS

                    > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                    program

                    > > > Service.

                    > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                    > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                    > > Service.

                    > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                    > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                    Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                  • Laura Sims
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 21, 2006
                      Dear Jennifer,

                      It has been ages since I've checked emails and was
                      interested in your request since I work in silk. I
                      hope the following is helpful.

                      I used to marble silk for jackets. The pattern my
                      seamstress designed would use the size with which I
                      felt I could get optimum marbling results, 22" x 96".
                      Also I continue to marble woven garment parts that a
                      friend weaves, constructs and sells.
                      It's that "power of limits" thing where you take the
                      limitations of space,size, etc. and make them part of
                      a creative solution.

                      The other point to consider is the print (image) as it
                      relates to application. I checked out the quilters
                      treasure site. The individual seems to have used oil
                      paints on his/her fabrics. Oils give a different
                      visual outcome. There are types or brands that will
                      allow recognizable classical patterns, but never the
                      precision of watercolors (first) or acrylics (second).
                      Because of their nature they can be used to create
                      very organic visual/textural images.
                      Back to the site...the individual is probably going
                      for color and texture. Many quilters do not like to
                      use classical patterns in their quilts because the
                      tight,regular patterns visually dominate a quilt.
                      It's use and placement have to be carefully
                      considered.
                      So its back to image and application.

                      I used to share an apartment with a quilter friend who
                      came back from a trip with what I thought was some
                      quarter yards of the worst marbling I had ever seen
                      that happened to be oils. However, she made a nine
                      patch with them cutting them in 2" blocks and
                      alternating them with a dark fabric. The result was
                      lovely. Now the little blocks looked like a quilt of
                      different agates and jaspers.
                      That was one of my most memorable lessons in the magic
                      of proportion.

                      I wish you well with finding solutions that fit your
                      needs.

                      Best, Laura
                      www.indigostonestudio.com

                      http://mail.yahoo.com