Bolts of Fabric

  • elpmet56
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14, 2006
      Hi All,

      Has anyone done full bolts of Fabric? I saw some Marbled yardage from
      Italy and they had somehow figured out how to do whole bolts of silk.
      I have done yard goods but the largest pieces I ever did were 45" X
      64" and that proves challenging even with an assistent. HOW CAN THIS
      BE DONE?!?!?
      Respectfully,
      Jennifer
    • gretchen vansant
      Message 2 of 14 , May 14, 2006
        They take pictures

        elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hi All,

        Has anyone done full bolts of Fabric? I saw some Marbled yardage from
        Italy and they had somehow figured out how to do whole bolts of silk.
        I have done yard goods but the largest pieces I ever did were 45" X
        64" and that proves challenging even with an assistent. HOW CAN THIS
        BE DONE?!?!?
        Respectfully,
        Jennifer

        Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

      • elpmet56
        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2006
          Ah! Fooey! Now I am really disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
          time. It has been my ambition to do longer segments of original
          marbled yardage so I guess I just have to keep up the R&D until I can
          get there on my own.
          Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
          into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same thing.
          Jennifer

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
          <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

          > They take pictures
          >
          > elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hi All,
          >
          > Has anyone done full bolts of Fabric? I saw some Marbled yardage from
          > Italy and they had somehow figured out how to do whole bolts of silk.
          > I have done yard goods but the largest pieces I ever did were 45" X
          > 64" and that proves challenging even with an assistent. HOW CAN THIS
          > BE DONE?!?!?
          > Respectfully,
          > Jennifer

          > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
          Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

          Service.

        • gretchen vansant
          Message 4 of 14 , May 14, 2006
            Now I'm just a marbler like you,I do mostly 45"x 72 myself. Someone here may have a better answer. A man from http://www.quilterstreasure.com/ mass produces his stuff and travels around selling it. He'll be at the quilt symposium this summer in Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes. When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would suspect It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com

            elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Ah! Fooey! Now I am really disapointed! I'll have to look closer next

            Message 5 of 14 , May 14, 2006
              Hello Gretchen,
              I followed the link to " quilterstreasure.com, I can not say I am
              impressed. His fabrics seem to lack the strong definition I would
              expect from marbling. My fabrics are cotton, linen, silk and rayon.
              All of the natural fibers seem to take the prints well so I find it
              curious his prints are not stronger and more defined. I will say this,
              you can't beat his prices. I'm going to go back and have an other look
              but I don't think he is doing anything I could sell to my designers
              who would all like me to produce larger lengths of the patterns I have
              already sold them.

              I stopped at 60-64 inches because that was all the room in my studio
              and I could not fit a larger tank. - We are building hunting right now
              and hope to find a commercial/residential/studio place to house our
              rare book business, my studio and still have bath, bed and kitchen.
              I'll try to get bigger after we are resetteled.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 14, 2006
                I'll have to agree but, I find it in bad taste to dis some one's work. I on the other hand I do lovely work . I do have a studio I've just moved to, to do large pieces,but I have run out of funds. please go back and look at my work,perhapes you could put me in the right direction :) thanks gretchen marbledfabric.com

                elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hello Gretchen,

                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2006
                  -Hello again, Gretchen,
                  I have been looking everyy where I could think of. Where can I look at
                  your work? I would love ti see it.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 16, 2006
                    marbledfabric.com

                    elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: -Hello again, Gretchen,

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 16, 2006
                      I went, I saw, I was impressed!! Yes, Mame! That is exactly what I
                      expect marbled fabrics to look like. You do wonderful stuff. Do you
                      also do the sewing? I leave that to a dress maker I just supply the
                      fabric.

                      <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      I can
                      > > > get there on my own.
                      > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                      > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                      > thing.
                      > > > Jennifer
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                      > from
                      > silk.
                      CAN THIS

                      > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                      program

                      > > > Service.

                      > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                      > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                      > > Service.

                      > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                      > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                      Service.

                    • gretchen vansant
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 16, 2006
                        I sew but not well my mom sews or I take it to a seamstress. Thanks.I learned it from all the wonderfull people here......I still would also like to sell to designers. Which is why I was interested in bolt reproduction. But everything in time. Thanks for stopping by, Peace gretchen

                        elpmet56 <elpmet56@...> wrote: I went, I saw, I was impressed!! Yes, Mame! That is exactly what I

                        <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        I can
                        > > > get there on my own.
                        > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                        > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                        > thing.
                        > > > Jennifer
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                        > from
                        > silk.
                        CAN THIS

                        > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                        program

                        > > > Service.

                        > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                        > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                        > > Service.

                        > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                        > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                        Service.

                      • jennifer temple
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 18, 2006
                          Hello Gretchen,
                          Check out design schools and fashion houses in your area. There is a very good chance they have a place where you can post samples. My dress maker buys the sizes I can produce and then works her patterns to the fabric. You could possibly be selling already.

                          Good Luck,
                          Jennifer

                          gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:I sew but not well my mom sews or I take it to a seamstress. Thanks.I learned it from all the wonderfull people here......I still would also like to sell to designers. Which is why I was interested in bolt reproduction. But everything in time. Thanks for stopping by, Peace gretchen

                          <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          I can
                          > > > get there on my own.
                          > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                          > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                          > thing.
                          > > > Jennifer
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                          > from
                          > silk.
                          CAN THIS

                          > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                          program

                          > > > Service.

                          > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                          > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                          > > Service.

                          > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                          > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                          Service.

                          ---------------------------------

                        • elpmet56
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 18, 2006
                            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant
                            P.S. You can now see the article about my dress maker and my work in
                            my album on the groups photos, as well, some photos of other things I
                            have done.
                            Jennifer

                            <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > Hershey PA where I plan to check him out. And ask him where he goes.
                            > > > When I lived in San Francisco the Fashion Merchandisers booklet had
                            > > > ads for Digital picture reproduction? for mass blots. I would
                            suspect
                            > > > It wouldn't be cheap. Gretchen... marbledfabric.com

                            > > > disapointed! I'll have to look closer next
                            > I can
                            > > thing.

                            > > from
                            > > silk.
                            > 45" X
                            > CAN THIS

                            > degree
                            > program

                            > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                            program

                            > > > Service.

                            > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                            > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                            Service.

                          • gretchen vansant
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 18, 2006
                              Post samples? hummm as in billboards at the school or send samples to the school or on line . or all of the above? whats your experience posting. Maybe a dumb question but I really appreciate your info ,Gretchen

                              jennifer temple <elpmet56@...> wrote: Hello Gretchen,

                              <fine_artist2002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              I can
                              > > > get there on my own.
                              > > > Thanks for letting me know. I can now assume they feed the pattern
                              > > > into some kind of program that repeats endless reams of the same
                              > thing.
                              > > > Jennifer
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, gretchen vansant

                              > from
                              > silk.
                              CAN THIS

                              > > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design
                              program

                              > > > Service.

                              > > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                              > > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                              > > Service.

                              > > Art and design school Art design class Art design degree
                              > Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                              Service.

                              ---------------------------------

                              Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

                            • Laura Sims
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 21, 2006
                                Dear Jennifer,

                                It has been ages since I've checked emails and was
                                interested in your request since I work in silk. I
                                hope the following is helpful.

                                I used to marble silk for jackets. The pattern my
                                seamstress designed would use the size with which I
                                felt I could get optimum marbling results, 22" x 96".
                                Also I continue to marble woven garment parts that a
                                friend weaves, constructs and sells.
                                It's that "power of limits" thing where you take the
                                limitations of space,size, etc. and make them part of
                                a creative solution.

                                The other point to consider is the print (image) as it
                                relates to application. I checked out the quilters
                                treasure site. The individual seems to have used oil
                                paints on his/her fabrics. Oils give a different
                                visual outcome. There are types or brands that will
                                allow recognizable classical patterns, but never the
                                precision of watercolors (first) or acrylics (second).
                                Because of their nature they can be used to create
                                very organic visual/textural images.
                                Back to the site...the individual is probably going
                                for color and texture. Many quilters do not like to
                                use classical patterns in their quilts because the
                                tight,regular patterns visually dominate a quilt.
                                It's use and placement have to be carefully
                                considered.
                                So its back to image and application.

                                I used to share an apartment with a quilter friend who
                                came back from a trip with what I thought was some
                                quarter yards of the worst marbling I had ever seen
                                that happened to be oils. However, she made a nine
                                patch with them cutting them in 2" blocks and
                                alternating them with a dark fabric. The result was
                                lovely. Now the little blocks looked like a quilt of
                                different agates and jaspers.
                                That was one of my most memorable lessons in the magic
                                of proportion.

                                I wish you well with finding solutions that fit your
                                needs.

                                Best, Laura
                                www.indigostonestudio.com

                                http://mail.yahoo.com