Re: [Marbling] Marbling ostrich eggshells

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2006
      Hi Chilli Tortilla
      I would perfect the two D process first before attempting 3 d so you get the
      flow of the roll with out wasting too many projects.
      On Marbling practice make perfect and it takes many, then you appreciate the
      art of zen marbling..
      Johnny

      On 5/13/06, chillitortilla <chillitortilla@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am new to your group - having just joined, but have been reading
      > your site for some time. Has anyone out there marbled an ostich egg?
      > Or anything similar. I am having a lot of trouble and have tried many
      > methods. Using carageenan I have tried rolling it, - get hesitation
      > marks. Dunking completely, after first coating with gesso and then
      > alum. - Works only OK as the pressure on the surface tension of
      > course stretches the paints and the colours are paler. However now I
      > am getting a lot of streaks when washing off the carageenan, which
      > seems to stick heavily, where the initial contact with the carageenan
      > took place. Have tried thinning the size, helps a bit but still not a
      > 100% success. Have also increased the strength of the alum - still
      > not winning! PLEASE! any suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • chillitortilla
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2006
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "John Goode" <watermarktile@...>
        wrote:Hi John - thanks for the input. Forgot to add I have been
        marbling 2D for years. Chilli Tortilla

        > Hi Chilli Tortilla
        > I would perfect the two D process first before attempting 3 d so
        you get the
        > flow of the roll with out wasting too many projects.
        > On Marbling practice make perfect and it takes many, then you
        appreciate the
        > art of zen marbling..
        > Johnny
        >

        > On 5/13/06, chillitortilla <chillitortilla@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, I am new to your group - having just joined, but have been
        reading
        > > your site for some time. Has anyone out there marbled an ostich
        egg?
        > > Or anything similar. I am having a lot of trouble and have
        tried many
        > > methods. Using carageenan I have tried rolling it, - get
        hesitation
        > > marks. Dunking completely, after first coating with gesso and
        then
        > > alum. - Works only OK as the pressure on the surface tension of
        > > course stretches the paints and the colours are paler. However
        now I
        > > am getting a lot of streaks when washing off the carageenan,
        which
        > > seems to stick heavily, where the initial contact with the
        carageenan
        > > took place. Have tried thinning the size, helps a bit but still
        not a
        > > 100% success. Have also increased the strength of the alum -
        still
        > > not winning! PLEASE! any suggestions more than welcome.
        Thanks.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • elpmet56
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2006
          >Hello there,
          I have not done eggs but I have marbled rocks, (OK, everyone, have a
          laugh!) It took a bit of fussing but in the end I used a method of
          painting my rocks with a slightly thinned white ceiling paint. I let
          this act as a primer and allowed it to dry a couple of weeks. I then
          applied the alum solution. The following day I marbled them with
          excellent results. This system might work for eggs.
          Respectfully,
          Jennifer