Marbling ostrich eggshells

  • chillitortilla
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2006
      Hi, I am new to your group - having just joined, but have been reading
      your site for some time. Has anyone out there marbled an ostich egg?
      Or anything similar. I am having a lot of trouble and have tried many
      methods. Using carageenan I have tried rolling it, - get hesitation
      marks. Dunking completely, after first coating with gesso and then
      alum. - Works only OK as the pressure on the surface tension of
      course stretches the paints and the colours are paler. However now I
      am getting a lot of streaks when washing off the carageenan, which
      seems to stick heavily, where the initial contact with the carageenan
      took place. Have tried thinning the size, helps a bit but still not a
      100% success. Have also increased the strength of the alum - still
      not winning! PLEASE! any suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.
    • John Goode
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2006
        Hi Chilli Tortilla
        I would perfect the two D process first before attempting 3 d so you get the
        flow of the roll with out wasting too many projects.
        On Marbling practice make perfect and it takes many, then you appreciate the
        art of zen marbling..
        Johnny

        On 5/13/06, chillitortilla <chillitortilla@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am new to your group - having just joined, but have been reading
        > your site for some time. Has anyone out there marbled an ostich egg?
        > Or anything similar. I am having a lot of trouble and have tried many
        > methods. Using carageenan I have tried rolling it, - get hesitation
        > marks. Dunking completely, after first coating with gesso and then
        > alum. - Works only OK as the pressure on the surface tension of
        > course stretches the paints and the colours are paler. However now I
        > am getting a lot of streaks when washing off the carageenan, which
        > seems to stick heavily, where the initial contact with the carageenan
        > took place. Have tried thinning the size, helps a bit but still not a
        > 100% success. Have also increased the strength of the alum - still
        > not winning! PLEASE! any suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • chillitortilla
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2006
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "John Goode" <watermarktile@...>
          wrote:Hi John - thanks for the input. Forgot to add I have been
          marbling 2D for years. Chilli Tortilla

          > Hi Chilli Tortilla
          > I would perfect the two D process first before attempting 3 d so
          you get the
          > flow of the roll with out wasting too many projects.
          > On Marbling practice make perfect and it takes many, then you
          appreciate the
          > art of zen marbling..
          > Johnny
          >

          > On 5/13/06, chillitortilla <chillitortilla@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I am new to your group - having just joined, but have been
          reading
          > > your site for some time. Has anyone out there marbled an ostich
          egg?
          > > Or anything similar. I am having a lot of trouble and have
          tried many
          > > methods. Using carageenan I have tried rolling it, - get
          hesitation
          > > marks. Dunking completely, after first coating with gesso and
          then
          > > alum. - Works only OK as the pressure on the surface tension of
          > > course stretches the paints and the colours are paler. However
          now I
          > > am getting a lot of streaks when washing off the carageenan,
          which
          > > seems to stick heavily, where the initial contact with the
          carageenan
          > > took place. Have tried thinning the size, helps a bit but still
          not a
          > > 100% success. Have also increased the strength of the alum -
          still
          > > not winning! PLEASE! any suggestions more than welcome.
          Thanks.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • elpmet56
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2006
            >Hello there,
            I have not done eggs but I have marbled rocks, (OK, everyone, have a
            laugh!) It took a bit of fussing but in the end I used a method of
            painting my rocks with a slightly thinned white ceiling paint. I let
            this act as a primer and allowed it to dry a couple of weeks. I then
            applied the alum solution. The following day I marbled them with
            excellent results. This system might work for eggs.
            Respectfully,
            Jennifer