Marbling books, and a death

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
      Ingird Weimann has related to me that she no longer has copies of "Infinity
      of Colours" by Hikmet Barutcugil. She still has several copies of "Colors
      Dancing on Water" by Hikmet Bey. If you are interested, please enquire
      with Ingrid directly at floatingcolors@.... For those interested in
      copies of "Infinity", you should refer to Dawson's Book Shop:

      http://www.dawsonbooks.com/

      or write to Hikmet Bey directly at Ebristan@... Ingrid still has
      copies of her book "Chris Weimann- a Tribute", about her late husband's
      work.

      On a sadder note...

      It has been related to me now from several sources that Nüsret Hepgül,
      dubbed the "Ebrulog" by the late master marbler Mustafa Düzgünman, has
      passed away in the last couple of months. Nusret Bey was well known for
      collecting copious quantities of marbled paper examples from many parts of
      the world, and helped to create a timeline of the art as it was beleived to
      have been practiced in Turkey. In 1997, he gave a presentation at the
      International Marbler's Gathering in Istanbul, and led a tour of marbling
      collections at the Süleymaniye Kütüphanesi at that time. He donated his
      entire collection to Süleymaniye, to be made available for research.

      I am personally very thankful to have known this man, as he was very kind
      and gracious to me on numerous occaisions when visiting him at his home in
      Kizil Toprak, on the Anatolian side of Istanbul. His sometimes candid
      insights into marbling methods and history went well beyond the conventional
      ideas commonly encountered among contemporary craftsmen, espousing an
      internationalism that transcended nationalistic attitudes. He in turn,
      credited the late Chris Weimann with inspiring him to better document the
      available evidence in Istanbul. In preparation for the visit of Chris' and
      Stefan Ipert in 1987, he composed a guidebook for those interested in old
      marbling, to be able to visit collections in Istanbul and observe the early
      evidence for themselves. He updated this guidebook again in the early 90's,
      but as I understand, it remains unpublished. Perhaps that shall yet be
      remedied, Insh'allah!

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Bookbinding, Conservation, and Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2000
        Once again--Thank you for this information Jake. This list is enriched by
        your thoughtful posts, that teach us all a little more about marbling and
        its history.
        Jill