The Art of Bookbinding by Joseph W. Zaehnsdorf

  • renatocrepaldi808
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hello everyone!

      I just found an online version of ''The Art of Bookbinding'' by Joseph W. Zaehnsdorf, London, 1897....very interesting reading and a beautiful cut from the book SCHOOLS OF ARTS 1750...also a mention of ''English Mechanic'', March 17, 1871 on how to transfer the pattern from ordinary marbled paper to the edges of books!

      ........Ring the book up tightly in the press, the edge to be as flat as possible; cut
      strips of the best marble paper about one inch longer than the edge, make a pad of old paper larger than the edge
      of the book, and about a quarter inch thick; then get a piece of blotting paper and a sponge with a little water in;
      now pour on a plate sufficient spirits of salts (muriatic acid) to saturate the paper, which must be placed marble
      side downwards ...........

      Want read more?
      Just go to:
      http://www.aboutbookbinding.com/Main.html