rinsing and finishing

  • Jan Walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi all. I've been musing about two differences between the marbling
      process shown in the Diderot encyc. pictures and what today's books say to
      do.

      One thing is rinsing. The folks in the Diderot shop were letting the size
      drain off the paper rather than rinsing it off. Every book I've read shows
      rinsing the paper under running water. Anyone know howcum?

      The other thing is "waxing and burnishing". The Diderot workers had
      special equipment for finishing the surface of the papers. Given the
      amount of space and effort devoted to it, it must have been important then.
      What's different now that makes it not important? Howto books don't mention
      anything much after the drying, except sometimes ironing the paper flat if
      it isn't already. Is there anything else?

      Just wondering.
      Jan Walker
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
        Rinsing.....I don't rinse my papers either. I was intrigued by the old
        books never mentioning rinsing, and set out to fine tune my paints to the
        point where they didn't need it.........but the key is to not use too much
        excess paint. If you get the feel for what just enough paint is, at least
        with my paints, I just hang them up to dry.

        For polishing....run a bar of parafin across the paper...not really enought
        to coat it (or it will leave a film). This is just enough to enable the
        burnisher to glide. Take a thin slice of agate with a polished edge (a rock
        and mineral shop can make one to fit your palm with a flat bottom edge
        about 3-4" X 2" or so) and rub it all ove the paper hard. It will mat down
        the fibers and bring out a nice polish.....very hard work though....