Tomorrow's marblers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      I couldn't resist passing along these images

      great photo essay

      "marmorizattini"????

      The face of the future of marbling?

      http://rsb.provincia.brescia.it/ddcortef/grafico.htm

      the last image of the little girl- this is pretty good!

      I wish I had done well on my first sheet!
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
        hmmm...wonder how those ripply effects happened at top of the little girl's paper!
        not regualr Spanish!
        iris nevins

        http://rsb.provincia.brescia.it/ddcortef/grafico.htm<http://rsb.provincia.brescia.it/ddcortef/grafico.htm>

        the last image of the little girl- this is pretty good!

        I wish I had done well on my first sheet!

      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
          > hmmm...wonder how those ripply effects happened at top of the little girl's
          > paper!
          > not regualr Spanish!
          > iris nevins

          Iris: I think I know the rippling isn¹t ³New Jersey², it¹s suminagashi
          type. And: Jake: If you look closely I think the girl has matching
          marbled finger nails!! Regards, Gail

        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
            The "spanish" bands appear concentric, and radiate outward from a central location, from
            3 different points at least on the sheet.

            My guess is that when she laid the paper she trapped some mighty big air bubbles and she
            had to really poke at it a lot to get rid of it them.

            "mistakes" are the mother of invention, yes?

            She looks pleased. I would be too.

            To me she looks like a very very young Faith Harrison?

            and yes Gail- marbled nails for sure!

            ABOUT THOSE MARBLED FAKE FINGERNAILS........

            There could be enormous, powerful, subversive potential in such products!! in IRAN!

            Fingernail polish is a HUGE taboo among conservatives in Iran. Yet in recent years,
            ESPECIALLY it seems the last year or so, young women don't really care and openly flaunt
            it, as well as lip stick and make-up in general- all condemned by the ulama.

            It was a big deal when Rafsanjani was running against Krazee-Kooky (and I hopefully
            "soon-to-be-gone") Ahmednejad in the last election. Many young women supported
            Rafsanjani were spotted sporting make-up out in the streets during campaign rallys.

            Women in public, looking like THAT!!!!

            How scandlaous! How shameful!

            OOOOH did you see that???

            She was SHOWING A LITTLE NAIL!!!!!

            <whistles and cat-calls>

            "What is the world coming too!!!" groan the self righteous.

            It's funny, because here at home, I know so many feminists who vociferously eschew
            make-up as a gross form of manipulation of women!

            But to young Iranian women, it's basically a not-so subtle way of saying "screw you,
            Ayatollah!!!"...along with public hand holding. Meaning, holding hands with the opposite
            sex in public. There have been many fiery comments lately about such displays of "public
            lewdness" that is seemingly occurring everywhere these days in the squares and parks in
            Iran at night. You know the dangers that holding hands can lead to!

            When you consider the symbolism of the colors of flowers and the expressions of
            metaphor in Persian poetry about flowers and feelings.... Marbled fake nail designs cou;d
            serve a similar role to our valentine's day sour hearts, but with tinged with socio-political
            subverision.

            I can see it now, ghubar miniature script -on marbled fingernails- like miniature panels of
            poetry, filed with expressions and messages in secret lover's code.

            Little marbled rose tips? it could come to means "i love you" in the latest street code...

            Hyacinths could symbolize "i think you're cute"

            tulips are devotion

            while the night blooming jasmine... you get the idea!

            Could it be the power of love will be Iran's undoing. A poetic revolution? Nah, too
            idealist!

            Jake