Re: How to make your own combs

  • Guffey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2006
      Hi All,

      The suggestions (below) from Joan are all wonderful, and I've used most of
      them. In 1984 I had the privilege of meeting Sidney Cockerell at his studio
      outside of Cambridge, England. I was a novice marbler at that time
      (remember, this was before all the "how-to" books on marbling became
      available), and very anxious to see how the different patterns could be
      obtained. After escorting me around his studio (one of his assistants was
      actually doing the French Bouquet, and that was the first time I saw the
      double tooth bouquet comb) I asked him where one could purchase marbling
      tools, especially the combs. He replied "my dear, marblers always make
      their own."

      That being said, you can purchase combs from Colophon and from Galen
      Berry...but it really is quite easy to make your own. One of the first
      combs I made I used a wooden yard stick as the base so that I had exact
      spacing to place needles. I made a little grove every 1/4" (or whatever
      spacing you want) and laid a needle there. After they were all lined up I
      put a layer of PVA to hold them, let dry, and 3 or 4 more layers of PVA to
      make sure they really were stable and also, the PVA makes the wooden yard
      stick waterproof. All these years later I'm still using that comb.

      In a workshop I took from Don Guyot we used rakes he had made from plastic
      hair picks...the type you used to use to hold rollers in your hair (think
      back to the 1960's). The only problem there is finding them. Do they still
      make those perforated rollers that needed the picks to hold them?

      Have fun making your own. You can make them just the right size for your
      tray, and you can make them any spacing you like.

      d. guffey