NYPL digital collection

  • katherine coddington
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
      Being in Canada, I don't check out all the US sites, but a friend just
      sent me a link to the New York Public Library Digital Collection and
      suggested that the bindings in the Spencer Collection were
      interesting. There are some marbled papers that are just beautiful --
      there is one Tiger's eye that is amazing (should be called God's eye).
      The specific link for that one is too complicated to post here, but
      go to the main page:
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?topic=arts

      Scroll down to the "French 19th-Century Bindings in the Collection of
      William A. Spencer" about half-way down the page: it is definately
      worth the browse.
    • Lavinia Adler
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
        I'd really llike to see that beautiful example of marbling, but haven't
        time to go through all the books. Do you remember which title it was in?

        Lavinia

      • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
          try this link

          it's long but....

          _http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=339175&imageID=491530&parent_id=244729&word=&snum=&s=¬word=&d=&c=&f=&sSc
          ope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=7&num=0&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=1_
          (http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=339175&imageID=49153
          0&parent_id=244729&word=&snum=&s=¬word=&d=&c=&f=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&to
          tal=7&num=0&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=1)

          paul

          www.paulhenrydesign.com

        • katherine coddington
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
            The Tiger's Eye piece is item 64, on the 6th page of thumbnails. The links seem to get chopped up by Yahoo so if you cut and paste the whole thing they might work.

            There are many others worth seeing if you have the time. William Augustus Spencer was an American book collector who lived in Paris and seemed to have commissioned a number of beautiful bindings while he was there. He especially supported a binder by the name of Jean Stroobants, who used the most amazing marbled paper in his binding. If you search that him in the "names" you will see what I mean. He does not seem to have done the Tiger's Eye marbling, but as his leather bindings are very plain (compared to a number of the French bindings) and it is the marbling that is spectacular, I wonder if he was the marbler as well.

            Katherine

            <kcoddington@...> writes:

            > there is one Tiger's eye that is amazing (should be called God's
            > eye).
            > The specific link for that one is too complicated to post here, but
            > go to the main page:

            http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?topic=ar
            ts

            Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

          • Lavinia Adler
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
              Thanks! It worked... and what a wonderful marbled design it is.

              On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:17:51 EST paulhenrydesign@... writes:
              > try this link
              >
              > it's long but....

              _http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&s
              trucID=339175&imageID=491530&parent_id=244729&word=&snum=&s=¬word=&d=&
              c=&f=&sSc
              > ope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=7&num=0&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=1_

              (http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&s
              trucID=339175&imageID=49153

              0&parent_id=244729&word=&snum=&s=¬word=&d=&c=&f=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabe
              l=&to
              > tal=7&num=0&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=1)
              >

              > paul
              >
              > www.paulhenrydesign.com

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sixshort
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
                Hi Katherine, Thanks for a very interesting collection of late 19th
                and early 20thC bindings and endpapers. It takes forever to go
                through all the examples. If anyone wants to see a few excellent
                examples, I have noted "Les Chevalier des Touches" (Tiger Eye); "Au
                Petit bonheur - comedie en un acte" (Figure 8 across a non pareil
                pattern); "Estampes at livres"; "Francesco Cenci e la sua famiglia"-
                (which shows a number of different styles of marbling in the
                endpapers).

                There are several beautiful examples of oil marbling as well as the
                above combed patterns,( "Flingot") and some gorgeous stylus patterns
                with added Spanish laying of the paper (Histoire de mes Betes).

                If anyone has the time, it is worth looking at all the examples.
                Happy computering, Joan Ajala

                "F--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "katherine coddington"
                <kcoddington@...> wrote:

                > Being in Canada, I don't check out all the US sites, but a friend
                just
                > sent me a link to the New York Public Library Digital Collection
                and
                > suggested that the bindings in the Spencer Collection were
                > interesting. There are some marbled papers that are just
                beautiful --
                > there is one Tiger's eye that is amazing (should be called God's
                eye).
                > The specific link for that one is too complicated to post here,
                but
                > go to the main page:
                > http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?
                topic=arts

                > Scroll down to the "French 19th-Century Bindings in the Collection
                of
                > William A. Spencer" about half-way down the page: it is definately
                > worth the browse.

              • Jake Benson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
                  Thanks for sharing that information about the NYPL web site. The Spencer collection at
                  NYPL is home to some very interesting and unique works of marbling. Last summer I was
                  able to visit and see a small two small Japanese manuscripts that were made with
                  suminagashi paper. The first was Jap MS 1-48-1, a copy of Shokubutsu ze-no-doku
                  (Pictures of Plants). c. 1700. (neglected to note the pagination, binding stucture- I believe
                  it is a pamphlet wrapper). It is described as "an herbal for the care of man or beast". The
                  outer paper wrapper of the book was an example of suminagashi that was applied over a
                  piece of kumogami or "cloud paper". This is a kind of decorative paper made during the
                  paper-making process. Basically, Indigo blue pulp fibers are poured in and produce soft
                  mottled bands of blue within the sheet. Kumogami was often used for tanzaku by poets.

                  The way the marbling was applied was juxtaposed to the pattern of kumogami-a band of
                  blue in the kumogami. The distance and juxtaposition of arcs within the suminagashi
                  pattern and the kumogami banding effectively rendered the aesthetic sense of a kind of
                  abstract landscape. Or better yet, perhaps a "seascape" of ocean waves and clouds. I have
                  never seen suminagashi combined with kumogami before, so this was very intriguing to
                  me and visually quite stunning.

                  the second item was a Japanese booklet decorated with suminagashi. The item number
                  for this book is JAP 88-1 (may also be 1-88-1). It is a copy of Kindai Shuka, which is
                  described as "an ancient anthology".

                  It is a kind of two-section style of binding. I looked up the style in the book by Kojiro
                  Ikegami, but I didn't see anything exactly like it. It is similar to the ledger or receipt book;
                  only two sections are sewn together, through the folds, instead of just one. They are sewn
                  at four sewing holes, and I think the thread makes a “figure eight” pattern through both of
                  the sections. In through the top, out the hole to the bottom, out the hole, back to the top,
                  turn around at the end, and so on. After asking japanese book conservator Kiyoshi imai
                  about the specific style of binding, he replied that it might possibly have been something
                  of a "one-off' booklet that was made after the scholar who wrote took their notes.

                  The outer folios of both of the sections were wrapped with 2 laminated suminagashi
                  papers. Hence the pattern on the front cover did not match the back of the cover, nor
                  were they conjoined. The pattern seen on the first section was composed of a more
                  traditional suminagashi pattern over a paper that had been printed in an abstract pattern
                  using silver colored pigment (possibly tin? It was not tarnished like silver and looked very
                  dull)

                  The pattern on the back cover was very unusual variation of a more common pattern. It
                  was of a long narrow horizontal oval of concentric blue and black rings. Only in this case
                  the outermost band was stylized in a manner reminiscent to combing seem in Islamic and
                  Western forms of marbling. The hair was used to tool only in a short depth- to the next
                  band, and that was all. This was repeated around the entire circumference of the oval.
                  After observing the pattern I theorize that the marbler may have used a single (horse?) hair
                  to accomplish this. So I will have to try out my theory and see if I can reproduce the
                  pattern.

                  As a result of the way that the pattern was applied to the paper, and then the way that the
                  paper was used in the binding, you only see half of the oval as a result on the back cover.
                  The application had a very unusual aesthetic about it, unlike other examples of
                  suminagashi I have seen applied in books and manuscripts.

                  There is more to write about what is in the Spencer collection, but I have to stop here for
                  now. Unfortunately these images are not featured on the NYPL web site. There is also a
                  collection of decorated papers that I had no time to go through. Has anyone else on this
                  list possibly taken the time to rummage through those boxes NYPL? Care to share with us
                  what you saw?

                  Jake Benson
                • Jake Benson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
                    Here's a link to an image of what is called kumogami in japanese- "cloud paper" used for a
                    calligraphy scroll:

                    http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~taniguti/D-043b.htm