large trays

  • athena_2547
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
      Hello,
      I was wondering if anyone has tried making a large marbling tray with fiberglass? I need to
      make a 5' x6' tray that is easy for me to move (common space studio) so i don't think
      wood would work, any luck w/ plexi? or know where to buy aluminum trays?
      ~Melinda
    • james tapley
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 16, 2006
        Hi Melinda... I make my very large (work in the parking lot) trays
        with 1"x6"x10' clear pine, corners held with door hinges w/ removable
        pins, then line with heavy weight plastic drop cloth. Works great,
        stores better. Best, James
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
          Dear Melinda,

          You can make a form and make your own fiberglass tray.
          Be sure and use a good vapor mask, eye protection and
          gloves. It's nasty stuff.

          If you make a wooden tray use a non-water soluable
          wood glue for seams and 3 coats of porch paint. Drill
          a hole in one corner big enough for a 1 1/8 inch
          bathtub stopper to drain the tray. If you need a
          rinse tray of a similar size make it a little smaller
          than the marbling tray so that it will fit inside and
          can be used as a table when not marbling. Or drill 2
          holes in the 1" width on 2 sides at each end in order
          to screw in 4 hooks and hang it from ceiling space. If
          the ceiling is too high drop chain or 4 rings. It
          works well.

          Good luck,
          Laura Sims
          www.indigostonestudio.com

          --- james tapley <jthandbook@...> wrote:

          > Hi Melinda... I make my very large (work in the
          > parking lot) trays
          > with 1"x6"x10' clear pine, corners held with door
          > hinges w/ removable
          > pins, then line with heavy weight plastic drop
          > cloth. Works great,
          > stores better. Best, James

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • angchengsiew
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
            Since we are on the subject of equipment, I appreciate suggestions for
            drying rack in a very small space. Pictures would be even better,
            please place them in the photo album section.
          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
              Hi John,

              do you want hang up your sheets, or do you prefer to dry them lying flat?

              For hanging, I use the normal collapsible drying racks for laundry, the variety that has
              enamelled rods instead of lines, plus ordinary clothes pegs. Sounds rather profane but
              works perfectly and can be put into a dark and quiet corner when you're through for the
              day, and it's cheap.

              For laying them flat, my husband has designed a folding rack for me that is fixed to the
              wall and can make itself next to invisible when it is not needed. Gives a certain amount of
              work while building it, preferably by a person who knows how to glue and saw wood and
              how to drill wide wholes.

              Susanne Krause

            • carylhanc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
                Hi!
                I purchased an "umbrella-type" clothes pole from a local hardware store (it
                was a special order). It folds up like an umbrella and lives in its box
                (about 8"x8"x65") when not in use. I bought some cinder blocks (the cube shape,
                not rectangular) with the single hole to support the pole. Since the pole is
                smaller than the hole in the cinder block, I stuff the hole with hunks of
                styrofoam to stabilize the pole. The clothespole opens up to about 48" on a
                side, and has maybe 10 lines strung between the 4 support arms. I have a heavy
                fabric painters' drop cloth that I put beneath the pole, and when that gets
                gloppy with size or paint, it goes in the washing machine. The pole cost about
                $50, the cinder blocks about $1 each, and the drop cloth about $10. Oh,
                yes, and a couple of packages of clothespins!

                I like this because, depending on the weather, I can put the pole up on my
                deck, or in my laundry room or garage.
                HTH!
                Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
                  I use those metal strips for shelving, and have one on one wall, then an opposite wall. They have holes in them. Every sixth row or so I tie a nylon line, thin one from one end to the other. In a space, maybe I am guessing 6 x 10 feet I can dry 144 papers. If I am crazy enough to do that many in one day ...and have been...there is room. I drip into plastic pans, keep moving them under newly done papers. You have to check the papers don't stick together though, they are pretty close. You get used to it! I hang with clothes pins. Been doing this 28 years this way!

                  Iris NEvins

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                    Dear Susanne,
                    I usually hang my papers. The collapsible laundary rack you describe
                    is what I have at the moment. Its quite cumbersome since it has 3
                    folds(one middle and two wings?). Maybe I should look at other more
                    compact models.

                    Thanks for all other suggestions.

                    --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"
                    <studio@...> wrote:

                    > Hi John,
                    >
                    > do you want hang up your sheets, or do you prefer to dry them lying
                    flat?

                    > For hanging, I use the normal collapsible drying racks for laundry,
                    the variety that has
                    > enamelled rods instead of lines, plus ordinary clothes pegs. Sounds
                    rather profane but
                    > works perfectly and can be put into a dark and quiet corner when
                    you're through for the
                    > day, and it's cheap.
                    >
                    > For laying them flat, my husband has designed a folding rack for me
                    that is fixed to the
                    > wall and can make itself next to invisible when it is not needed.
                    Gives a certain amount of
                    > work while building it, preferably by a person who knows how to
                    glue and saw wood and
                    > how to drill wide wholes.
                  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                      Yes, they are cumbersome, and anyway the wings are useless for bigger formats ( I use 70
                      x 50cm, that is ca. 27.5 x 20 inch). I simply get hold of an iron-saw and saw off the wings,
                      makes the racks much more handy. When you use not only the rods but also the frame of
                      the racks, there is room for 20 sheets per rack. As 80 to 85 full-size sheets are what I can
                      do per day when the pattern and the weather gods allow, 4 racks are what I need. They
                      last for years.

                      Susanne

                      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Susanne,
                      > I usually hang my papers. The collapsible laundary rack you describe
                      > is what I have at the moment. Its quite cumbersome since it has 3
                      > folds(one middle and two wings?). Maybe I should look at other more
                      > compact models.
                      >
                      > Thanks for all other suggestions.
                      >
                      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"
                      > <studio@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi John,
                      > >
                      > > do you want hang up your sheets, or do you prefer to dry them lying
                      > flat?
                      > >
                      > > For hanging, I use the normal collapsible drying racks for laundry,
                      > the variety that has
                      > > enamelled rods instead of lines, plus ordinary clothes pegs. Sounds
                      > rather profane but
                      > > works perfectly and can be put into a dark and quiet corner when
                      > you're through for the
                      > > day, and it's cheap.
                      > >
                      > > For laying them flat, my husband has designed a folding rack for me
                      > that is fixed to the
                      > > wall and can make itself next to invisible when it is not needed.
                      > Gives a certain amount of
                      > > work while building it, preferably by a person who knows how to
                      > glue and saw wood and
                      > > how to drill wide wholes.

                    • Dolores Guffey
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                        This is how I dry my marbled paper, a method we used in a Don Guyot class
                        and I've used ever since as it literally takes up "no space." You need a
                        piece of Masonite slightly larger than the paper size you are marbling. Lean
                        it upright on the floor (I put newspaper underneath to catch any drips).
                        Now, hang two sheets of newspaper on the board anchored with clothespins and
                        attached your rinsed marbled paper to this with the clothespins then attach
                        two more sheets of newspaper. Continue to sandwich the marbled papers
                        between 2 sheets of newspaper until you have about 10 sheets of marbled
                        paper, at which time you can take them off as a stack and put flat down on a
                        surface until you are finished for the day. I put them on the floor in
                        front of my refrigerator (overnight) and as the fridge cyles off & on warm
                        air blows across the paper. In the morning the papers are nice and dry. At
                        the end of your marbling session re-stack the marbled papers with only 1
                        sheet of newspaper between them and let dry flat for 24 hours (the only
                        space needed is the flat surface taken up by the stack of papers).

                        NOW, a word of caution. Newsprint has changed over the years depending on
                        what the printer is using... oil based ink, water based ink, or soy based
                        ink. It is best to use the oldest newspapers you've saved (rather than
                        "today's" paper) so that whatever ink used is as dry as can be. I keep a
                        stack of newspapers that are at least a month old to use for marbling. If,
                        by chance, a piece of newpaper sticks on your marbled paper, it can be
                        removed by gently using an eraser to rub over the newsprint...but, only
                        after the paper is thoroughly dry.

                        Happy Marbling,

                        d. guffey
                      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                          Hi Dolores,

                          this I find rather uncomfortable to think about. While the drying process is taken good
                          care of, another aspect is left out of consideration: printing inks is only the smaller
                          problem compared to the fact that newsprint is very acidic paper. Wetting it like in
                          sandwiching it with freshly marbled sheets will make the acid wander into the marbled
                          paper. Why bother about selecting base paper of conservation grade quality when
                          acidifying it later? My restorer's soul hurts.

                          Susanne Krause

                          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dolores Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

                          > This is how I dry my marbled paper, a method we used in a Don Guyot class
                          > and I've used ever since as it literally takes up "no space." You need a
                          > piece of Masonite slightly larger than the paper size you are marbling. Lean
                          > it upright on the floor (I put newspaper underneath to catch any drips).
                          > Now, hang two sheets of newspaper on the board anchored with clothespins and
                          > attached your rinsed marbled paper to this with the clothespins then attach
                          > two more sheets of newspaper. Continue to sandwich the marbled papers
                          > between 2 sheets of newspaper until you have about 10 sheets of marbled
                          > paper, at which time you can take them off as a stack and put flat down on a
                          > surface until you are finished for the day. I put them on the floor in
                          > front of my refrigerator (overnight) and as the fridge cyles off & on warm
                          > air blows across the paper. In the morning the papers are nice and dry. At
                          > the end of your marbling session re-stack the marbled papers with only 1
                          > sheet of newspaper between them and let dry flat for 24 hours (the only
                          > space needed is the flat surface taken up by the stack of papers).
                          >
                          > NOW, a word of caution. Newsprint has changed over the years depending on
                          > what the printer is using... oil based ink, water based ink, or soy based
                          > ink. It is best to use the oldest newspapers you've saved (rather than
                          > "today's" paper) so that whatever ink used is as dry as can be. I keep a
                          > stack of newspapers that are at least a month old to use for marbling. If,
                          > by chance, a piece of newpaper sticks on your marbled paper, it can be
                          > removed by gently using an eraser to rub over the newsprint...but, only
                          > after the paper is thoroughly dry.
                          >
                          > Happy Marbling,
                          >
                          > d. guffey

                        • John Ang
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 20, 2006
                            By sandwiching the freshly marbled paper between
                            newspaper, wouldn't the marbled paper stick to the
                            newspaper after it is dry since there would be some
                            size remaining on the marbled paper,unless one rinses
                            the marbled paper throughly with water which I do not
                            normally do)

                            --- Dolores Guffey <dguff@...> wrote:

                            > This is how I dry my marbled paper, a method we used
                            > in a Don Guyot class
                            > and I've used ever since as it literally takes up
                            > "no space." You need a
                            > piece of Masonite slightly larger than the paper
                            > size you are marbling. Lean
                            > it upright on the floor (I put newspaper underneath
                            > to catch any drips).
                            > Now, hang two sheets of newspaper on the board
                            > anchored with clothespins and
                            > attached your rinsed marbled paper to this with the
                            > clothespins then attach
                            > two more sheets of newspaper. Continue to sandwich
                            > the marbled papers
                            > between 2 sheets of newspaper until you have about
                            > 10 sheets of marbled
                            > paper, at which time you can take them off as a
                            > stack and put flat down on a
                            > surface until you are finished for the day. I put
                            > them on the floor in
                            > front of my refrigerator (overnight) and as the
                            > fridge cyles off & on warm
                            > air blows across the paper. In the morning the
                            > papers are nice and dry. At
                            > the end of your marbling session re-stack the
                            > marbled papers with only 1
                            > sheet of newspaper between them and let dry flat for
                            > 24 hours (the only
                            > space needed is the flat surface taken up by the
                            > stack of papers).

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Santure, Lynn A
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 20, 2006
                              I balance yard stinks across my bath tub from the shower curtain rod to the
                              tile on the other side. (The tile stops there so there is a little ledge
                              between the tile and the wall). I then use cloths pins to hang my sheets
                              from the yard sticks. The inevitable dripping gets washed away in the tub
                              when I turn the water on.
                            • Laura Sims
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 20, 2006
                                John,

                                When I used Don's method in the past I had to make
                                sure the newspapers were about 6 months old to insure
                                that the print was completely dry.

                                Best,
                                Laura

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 20, 2006
                                  John...when I teach everyone takes home wet and mainly non-rinsed papers.... my paints if you work right need no rinsing.... so many are still wet at the end. They layer in newspaper to go home, and there were never any complaints about sticking, however they are still a little damp when they peel the paper off I think. Then they lay them around a room to totally dry.

                                  I have seen Don Guyot at a class do this, and though rinsed, I was amazed they don't seem to stick either. I find it easier and quicker to hang and drip over buckets.
                                  iris nevins