RE: [Marbling] sinking colours

  • Anna Meier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
      probiers mal mit kleister (methylan), lukas designer guache und lukas netzmittel (2255)
      funktioniert bei mir gut
      Alexander Stoekler <alexanderstoekler@...> schrieb: hi all,

      i am alexander from germany and i am experimenting and
      experimenting but can't keep my colours from sinking.
      could anybody enlighten me ?
      this is what i work with:

      carragheen size 17 g of carragheen to one liter of
      destilled water.
      colour: schminke designer gouache, indian yellow 206,
      1 cm out of the tube mixed with 14 drops of destilled
      water and 7 drops of oxgall, also from schminke.

      the temperature of the colour, the workplace and the
      size is 20 °c.

      what happens: part of the colour spreads with about
      2,5 cm in diameter. the other (larger) part sinks as a
      drop to the ground.

      i tried with thicker size, thinner size, more colour,
      less colour, pigment only, pigment mixed with gum
      arabic, tragacanth size. always the same result: the
      blasted colour sinks.

      i do this since more or less 5 month, always when i
      have different supplies for experiments or new
      information out of books, where the mistake could lie,
      but so far to no avail.

      could anybody enlighten me ?

      apart from that, does anybody other marblers besides
      the two professionals in leipzig and hamburg ? and,
      last question, does anybody have any information about
      people marbling in iran ?

      greetings

      ---------------------------------

    • Anna Meier

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
          I think your size is too thick and your colors too concentrated. I use 12 g of carrageen for each 1.5 liters of water. When I used Windsor and Newton Gouache in the past, I would dilute about an inch (2.5 cm) in around 1 tablespoonful of water (15 ml). Your gall is also most likely too weak. If it is from Schminke, it is likely designed for watercolorists and is too dilute for marbling.
          Garrett Dixon
[...]

          Game art design college Art design Graphic art design program

        • Alexander Stoekler
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2006
            hi,

            and thanks for the replies. a big help ! good to have you on my side !
            i am on a voyage at present and as soon as i am back i will make amendments according to the suggestions and see what happens.

            alexander