Methyl cellulose Dow Methocel

  • srikkanthsundaram
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hi

      i will be starting marbling very soon. i would like to know which
      viscosity /grades of methocel need to be used to get good marbling.

      i spoke to Dow Chemicals distributor , he says there are lots of grades
      of METHOCEl available with varying viscosity. He says there are grades
      from 5000 cpc to 75,000 cpc. CPC denotes the thickness which the user
      will achive on dillusion of Methocel.

      can any one please advice me on this issue.

      srikkanth sundaram
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
        > Hi
        >
        > i will be starting marbling very soon. i would like to know which
        > viscosity /grades of methocel need to be used to get good marbling.
        >
        > i spoke to Dow Chemicals distributor , he says there are lots of grades
        > of METHOCEl available with varying viscosity. He says there are grades
        > from 5000 cpc to 75,000 cpc. CPC denotes the thickness which the user
        > will achive on dillusion of Methocel.
        >
        > can any one please advice me on this issue.
        >

        > srikkanth sundaram

        > Art and design school
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+and+design+school&w1=Art+and+design+s
        > chool&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=A
        > rt+design&w6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=y_kBz8jyoTssYFXVzKqsjw>
        > Art design class
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+class&w1=Art+and+design+school
        > &w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Art+de
        > sign&w6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=NxCo5z8HesWg31OLS2Qoug> Art
        > design degree
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design+degree&w1=Art+and+design+schoo
        > l&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Art+d
        > esign&w6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=Pj15asOIcFH-_HKT9uDZBQ>
        > Game art design college
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Game+art+design+college&w1=Art+and+design
        > +school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5
        > =Art+design&w6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=QL-xADcp_aX9ixeP9XLbo
        > w> Art design
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+design&w1=Art+and+design+school&w2=Ar
        > t+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college&w5=Art+design&w
        > 6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=PGD8zwgImSrpbEzeg4pOmQ> Graphic
        > art design program
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+art+design+program&w1=Art+and+des
        > ign+school&w2=Art+design+class&w3=Art+design+degree&w4=Game+art+design+college
        > &w5=Art+design&w6=Graphic+art+design+program&c=6&s=149&.sig=1e95pLYTHyO569DMoW
        > fIqA>
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        > the web.
        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been very busy remodeling my studio
        space.

        JM 5 is the best type of methyl cel to use for marbling. It mixes up best
        in cold water. To 4 gallons of water (Better start out using distilled and
        then experiment with other sources of water) add enough ammonia to raise
        the Ph to 8-9. Then stir in a level cup of methyl stirring constantly for
        several minutes. The mix will be cloudy. Add about a quarter cup of white
        vinegar to bring the Ph down to 6-6.5 and again stir thoroughly. Let this
        set until it is clear. It is even better to let it set for 24 hours. The
        best results are obtained when the Ph of the methyl cel and the Ph of the
        pigments are the same.

        You can use any acrylic pigments that are marketed for airbrush. It¹s
        mostly trail and error to get the best combination.

        A note aside.....the largest user of methyl cellulose is a chain of
        amusement parks. They use it to make the water in their water slides more
        slippery!!

        Regards, Gail

      • John Goode
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
          Why methyl cel?
          Try carrageenan and stick to tradition your marbling will be real beautiful
          verses a muddy appearence.
          At least try both and develop your own taste.
          Just my two cents...
          Peace thru Paper
          Johnny

        • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
            there is nothing wrong with Meth Cel, just different, and the papers and
            colours don't have to be muddy either.
            Not sure where the original questioner is, but working with Carageen is very
            dependant on climatic conditions , MC would be a much easier way to start!
            and less suspectible to hot and cold and damp!

            Carageen is only one tradition, it is not the only one

            paul

            www.paulhenrydesign.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
              I way prefer carrageenan too. I think people like that Methyl Cel doesn't go bad, but I use only the amount of carrageenan I need in a day and don't save it.

              iris nevins

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                Do you use acrylics? I haven't been able to make it work for watercolors much. I don't think it muddies anything in particular, just some like it better but I don't know of anyone using it for watercolor unless I am missing something....
                iris nevins

                www.paulhenrydesign.com<http://www.paulhenrydesign.com/>

              • paulhenrydesign@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                  I think my point was simply that MC should not simply be dismissed.
                  Tradtional Turkish marbling probably uses tragacanth ... not carageen.
                  Each of us has to experiment and find out what suits!

                  I use acrylics/inks/watercolours and oils for different effects
                  Sometimes I use alum
                  Sometimes I just use water with no paste of any kind.

                  I'm not trying to recreate an historic marble, there are plenty of very
                  competant marblers for that.

                  I'm always worried when there appear to be "rules" that must be followed

                  www.paulhenrydesign.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                    whatever works and makes you happy is what should be used.... I just wonder is there a certain type of MC or certain dilution that works well with watercolors.

                    iris nevins

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 10, 2006
                      Hi,
                      I usually use methylcel for marbling. I tested recently carrageeenan again, but i couldn't recognize any big difference. I use water colors, but i dont use ox gall, but a wetting agent with biological tensids. It smells a little like ox gall and is probably not as toxic as photo flo.
                      But the cheap methyl cel doesnt work well.
                      But maybe I´m not marbling so much, to see any difference between meth cel and carrageenan.
                      anna