Re: drains

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2006
      It is the amount and the way of contact that count. Tens of thousands of substances have
      (at least) two faces. Highly toxic substances (incl. nuclear matter) can heal - or kill,
      depending on how much is applied how and when. Many of them don't hurt the proverbial
      fly in tiny dilutions but, as they cannot be got rid of one way or another, will do so in the
      long run; and by 'in the long run' I mean decades or centuries. So the only way to help
      save not only our health but also our world for the generations to come would be to avoid
      anything that is doubtful.

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:

      > I am with you Gail... I think many people are worried about the cadmiums. We need to
      remember this was going to be banned from art supplies a while back, and Don Guyot was
      intrumental in preventing that from happening, proving it was inert once in the ground
      and caused no harm. We also need to realize that it isn't some horrible chemical but a
      naturally occuring element. I even was once given a bottle of coloidal liquid vitamins that
      came dripping down some glacial rocks or some such, and they even listed cadmium as
      one of the minerals in the mix and it was being sold quite legally. I didn't take it, I figured I
      have accidentally absorbed enough cads already, mainly while making paint from
      powdered pigments, even through a mask.

      > I use primarily natural pigments and carrageenan, and do dump down the drain into my
      own septic system, and live surrounded by almost 55 acres. While I wouldn't want to pour
      any proven toxic junk down my drains that would cause harm, I don't believe this causes
      harm. I don't know about alum, but I believe it is naturally occurring as well, but I only ever
      make what I need and cut it real close and don't tend to have any left to speak of going
      down any drains, I just use the solution til it's gone.

      > I would imagine something like Drano would be more dangerous, it's lye based isn't it?
      Not sure. I use turpentine in miniscule amounts, maybe a few drop's worth may come off
      while washing a brush. If any of our materials were proven dangerous then I would be
      more worried, I don't believe they are though, not for water color or acrylic marbling
      anyway. Not sure about oil, but artist have been pouring oil paints down drains for
      ages....don't know what if any effects have occurred say in a large city over a hundred
      years or so.

      > Iris Nevins
      >
      > <<<<<<> Not quite so Patri, when one lives on 165 acres. When the dumped ³stuff²
      > > eventually seeps through the earth¹s layers to the aquifer, it is quite
      > > filtered and harmless.

      groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling>> " on