drains

  • PatV
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006
      One member just wrote "my drains go nowhere". I rather doubt that. Most
      drains either go out to a leeching field or into a dry well. Either way,
      the dumped "stuff" eventually seeps through the earths layers to the
      aquifer. Not good.
      Patri
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2006

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2006
          I am with you Gail... I think many people are worried about the cadmiums. We need to remember this was going to be banned from art supplies a while back, and Don Guyot was intrumental in preventing that from happening, proving it was inert once in the ground and caused no harm. We also need to realize that it isn't some horrible chemical but a naturally occuring element. I even was once given a bottle of coloidal liquid vitamins that came dripping down some glacial rocks or some such, and they even listed cadmium as one of the minerals in the mix and it was being sold quite legally. I didn't take it, I figured I have accidentally absorbed enough cads already, mainly while making paint from powdered pigments, even through a mask.

          I use primarily natural pigments and carrageenan, and do dump down the drain into my own septic system, and live surrounded by almost 55 acres. While I wouldn't want to pour any proven toxic junk down my drains that would cause harm, I don't believe this causes harm. I don't know about alum, but I believe it is naturally occurring as well, but I only ever make what I need and cut it real close and don't tend to have any left to speak of going down any drains, I just use the solution til it's gone.

          I would imagine something like Drano would be more dangerous, it's lye based isn't it? Not sure. I use turpentine in miniscule amounts, maybe a few drop's worth may come off while washing a brush. If any of our materials were proven dangerous then I would be more worried, I don't believe they are though, not for water color or acrylic marbling anyway. Not sure about oil, but artist have been pouring oil paints down drains for ages....don't know what if any effects have occurred say in a large city over a hundred years or so.

          Iris Nevins

          <<<<<<> Not quite so Patri, when one lives on 165 acres. When the dumped ³stuff²
          > eventually seeps through the earth¹s layers to the aquifer, it is quite
          > filtered and harmless.

          > One member just wrote "my drains go nowhere". I rather doubt that. Most
          > drains either go out to a leeching field or into a dry well. Either way,
          > the dumped "stuff" eventually seeps through the earths layers to the
          > aquifer. Not good.
          > Patri
          >
          > Not quite so Patri, when one lives on 165 acres. When the dumped ³stuff²
          > eventually seeps through the earth¹s layers to the aquifer, it is quite
          > filtered and harmless.
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          > the web.
          > *

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2006
            It is the amount and the way of contact that count. Tens of thousands of substances have
            (at least) two faces. Highly toxic substances (incl. nuclear matter) can heal - or kill,
            depending on how much is applied how and when. Many of them don't hurt the proverbial
            fly in tiny dilutions but, as they cannot be got rid of one way or another, will do so in the
            long run; and by 'in the long run' I mean decades or centuries. So the only way to help
            save not only our health but also our world for the generations to come would be to avoid
            anything that is doubtful.

            Susanne Krause

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:

            > I am with you Gail... I think many people are worried about the cadmiums. We need to
            remember this was going to be banned from art supplies a while back, and Don Guyot was
            intrumental in preventing that from happening, proving it was inert once in the ground
            and caused no harm. We also need to realize that it isn't some horrible chemical but a
            naturally occuring element. I even was once given a bottle of coloidal liquid vitamins that
            came dripping down some glacial rocks or some such, and they even listed cadmium as
            one of the minerals in the mix and it was being sold quite legally. I didn't take it, I figured I
            have accidentally absorbed enough cads already, mainly while making paint from
            powdered pigments, even through a mask.

            > I use primarily natural pigments and carrageenan, and do dump down the drain into my
            own septic system, and live surrounded by almost 55 acres. While I wouldn't want to pour
            any proven toxic junk down my drains that would cause harm, I don't believe this causes
            harm. I don't know about alum, but I believe it is naturally occurring as well, but I only ever
            make what I need and cut it real close and don't tend to have any left to speak of going
            down any drains, I just use the solution til it's gone.

            > I would imagine something like Drano would be more dangerous, it's lye based isn't it?
            Not sure. I use turpentine in miniscule amounts, maybe a few drop's worth may come off
            while washing a brush. If any of our materials were proven dangerous then I would be
            more worried, I don't believe they are though, not for water color or acrylic marbling
            anyway. Not sure about oil, but artist have been pouring oil paints down drains for
            ages....don't know what if any effects have occurred say in a large city over a hundred
            years or so.

            > Iris Nevins
            >
            > <<<<<<> Not quite so Patri, when one lives on 165 acres. When the dumped ³stuff²
            > > eventually seeps through the earth¹s layers to the aquifer, it is quite
            > > filtered and harmless.

            groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling>> " on