Re: Composting Gels

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2006
      Hi Roger, I am glad you brought up this issue, one that is much on
      my mind. The golden rule is NEVER put paints, chemicals, size, gel
      etc. into your drains. They are bad for your drains (clogging,
      setting etc.) and worse for the environment, which we have a duty to
      protect. When I mentioned this to an American friend of mine in
      Australia, she commented that Americans would never think about such
      things, and just dump everything into their drains! I don't believe
      it - there have to be caring people out there.

      I initially wash my paint brushes and bottles in a bucket of water,
      then throw the lot into my garden, where I hope it will not cause
      too much trouble. The final cleaning does go down my drain,
      unfortunately.

      Same with size - carragheen and guargum are natural, and CMC seems
      inert, so they are siphoned into a bucket and join the garden parade.
      I have been doing this for years with no apparent effect on the
      plants. (But they hate alum - so waste alum water goes onto weeds.)

      If you use a natural gel, it should do fine in the compost - it may
      make the compost smell a bit for a few days however.

      I am a bit fired up on the whole issue, having just finished a
      marvelous book by Ronald Wright, Canadian historian and writer. His
      Massey Lectures have been put together in the book "A Short History
      of Progress" which traces the rise and fall of several
      civilizations, with dire warnings for our present trajectory. A book
      everyone on the planet would do well to read and digest.

      Good luck with your clean, unclogged drains and grateful
      environment! Joan Ajala

      T--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Roger Austin <raustin3@n...> wrote:

      > Do any of you dispose of gels by composting or do you dump them
      > in the trash? Can you put it down the drain if you dilute it with
      > water? Thanks, Roger
      > --
      > Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
      > the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.

    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2006
        Interesting!!! My drains go nowhere, so I¹m a bit of a special case!! But,
        I do have 20 years of observing the results of outdoor disposal of methyl
        cel, alum and the rest!! Methyl cel smothers yellow jackets nests in the
        ground after about 40-50 gallons applied!! Insects LOVE alum solution.
        Nurseries actually sell in to be added to plants that need a more acidic
        soil. I ³Cured² a big patch of ground where we had years of annual bonfires
        by drenching it in alum. Acrylic colors are encased in a medium and even
        though the waste methyl cel is colored the pigments cannot be
        absorbed....but I still wouldn¹t dump it into ground used for vegetables.
        Poison oak thrives on waste methyl cel.
        A better year in 2006 to all!! Regards, Gail