Re: pricing papers

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
      Yehuda-
      in any case you should sign your sheet clearly and insist on getting it back when they are
      through with it, and do everything in written form! As you probably remember, I am not
      just a paper decorator but also a publisher; and I cannot stop wondering about the ideas
      some publishers develop about anything but publishing work.
      Prices can vary from one project to the next. Try to find out how it is usually done in that
      publishing house/company/country.
      An aquaintance of mine, an artist using paper decorating techniques, has one copy of the
      printed book bound in exactly that part of the sheet that has been used for digitalising,
      and she stores the rest of the sheet together with this 'special edition'.

      Susanne Krause

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:

      > about $500 average you should either get the sheet or make it clear they cannot reuse
      it.

    • mpmh60201
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2005
        Yehuda,
        It's always a good idea ask what the budget is for your part of the
        project (one time use of marbled design). At times, I've found
        that the client's budget is higher than what I would charge. Other
        times, the budget is too low to even consider doing it. It helps
        tremendously to have this information. Over the past twenty
        years, I've found that there really isn't a set price, even though
        we'd like there to be (a high) one. If this is something you really
        want to do regardless of the price, then go for it! Experience in
        this type of work is worth the effort for the next one that comes
        along. As for copyright infringement, anyone can scan your
        image, tweak it a bit and say it isn't yours. Professional scruples
        are hard to come by these days! I've had a piece of my artwork
        with marbled enhancement used by the same client who
        commissioned it in the first place. Somehow they managed a
        brain freeze, never discussed it with me, and printed it again for
        another project. Someone who knows my work saw it, called me,
        and I received AMPLE compensation after negotiating a new
        contract for the reprint. Others have not been so lucky.
        Milena

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"