Re: [Marbling] pricing papers

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
      about $500 average you should either get the sheet or make it clear they cannot reuse it.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
        Yehuda-
        in any case you should sign your sheet clearly and insist on getting it back when they are
        through with it, and do everything in written form! As you probably remember, I am not
        just a paper decorator but also a publisher; and I cannot stop wondering about the ideas
        some publishers develop about anything but publishing work.
        Prices can vary from one project to the next. Try to find out how it is usually done in that
        publishing house/company/country.
        An aquaintance of mine, an artist using paper decorating techniques, has one copy of the
        printed book bound in exactly that part of the sheet that has been used for digitalising,
        and she stores the rest of the sheet together with this 'special edition'.

        Susanne Krause

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:

        > about $500 average you should either get the sheet or make it clear they cannot reuse
        it.

      • mpmh60201
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2005
          Yehuda,
          It's always a good idea ask what the budget is for your part of the
          project (one time use of marbled design). At times, I've found
          that the client's budget is higher than what I would charge. Other
          times, the budget is too low to even consider doing it. It helps
          tremendously to have this information. Over the past twenty
          years, I've found that there really isn't a set price, even though
          we'd like there to be (a high) one. If this is something you really
          want to do regardless of the price, then go for it! Experience in
          this type of work is worth the effort for the next one that comes
          along. As for copyright infringement, anyone can scan your
          image, tweak it a bit and say it isn't yours. Professional scruples
          are hard to come by these days! I've had a piece of my artwork
          with marbled enhancement used by the same client who
          commissioned it in the first place. Somehow they managed a
          brain freeze, never discussed it with me, and printed it again for
          another project. Someone who knows my work saw it, called me,
          and I received AMPLE compensation after negotiating a new
          contract for the reprint. Others have not been so lucky.
          Milena

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"