pricing papers

  • yehudamiklaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12 8:06 AM
      If someone wants to use one of your papers to create an endpaper for a
      book (an edition, that is) how much do you ask for a one-time use? Do
      they get to keep the sheet?

      -Yehuda Miklaf
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12 8:52 AM
        about $500 average you should either get the sheet or make it clear they cannot reuse it.
        If someone wants to use one of your papers to create an endpaper for a
        book (an edition, that is) how much do you ask for a one-time use? Do
        they get to keep the sheet?

        -Yehuda Miklaf

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12 12:34 PM
          Yehuda-
          in any case you should sign your sheet clearly and insist on getting it back when they are
          through with it, and do everything in written form! As you probably remember, I am not
          just a paper decorator but also a publisher; and I cannot stop wondering about the ideas
          some publishers develop about anything but publishing work.
          Prices can vary from one project to the next. Try to find out how it is usually done in that
          publishing house/company/country.
          An aquaintance of mine, an artist using paper decorating techniques, has one copy of the
          printed book bound in exactly that part of the sheet that has been used for digitalising,
          and she stores the rest of the sheet together with this 'special edition'.

          Susanne Krause

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v...> wrote:

          > about $500 average you should either get the sheet or make it clear they cannot reuse
          it.

        • mpmh60201
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 14 1:56 PM
            Yehuda,
            It's always a good idea ask what the budget is for your part of the
            project (one time use of marbled design). At times, I've found
            that the client's budget is higher than what I would charge. Other
            times, the budget is too low to even consider doing it. It helps
            tremendously to have this information. Over the past twenty
            years, I've found that there really isn't a set price, even though
            we'd like there to be (a high) one. If this is something you really
            want to do regardless of the price, then go for it! Experience in
            this type of work is worth the effort for the next one that comes
            along. As for copyright infringement, anyone can scan your
            image, tweak it a bit and say it isn't yours. Professional scruples
            are hard to come by these days! I've had a piece of my artwork
            with marbled enhancement used by the same client who
            commissioned it in the first place. Somehow they managed a
            brain freeze, never discussed it with me, and printed it again for
            another project. Someone who knows my work saw it, called me,
            and I received AMPLE compensation after negotiating a new
            contract for the reprint. Others have not been so lucky.
            Milena

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de"