Re: [Marbling] Carreegenan

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2005
      the one we use is viscarinGP209. This number is a stock number from FMC. They require you order at least 55kg. That's a lot. If you buy from a marbling supplier ask if they have this. It is a food grade, they no longer sell non-food grade, whatever that is all about I cannot say, I saw no difference between the two when they had it. If someone tries to sell you something else it will also most cases work, you just may need more of it to get the right viscosity. I would avoid the kind you have to cook.

      It is getting very expensive, still it will be usually under $30 a pound, and thankfully it goes a long way. I only make up what I know I will use in a day. If there are leftovers and you plan to marble again the next day you can usually just add fresh size and it is fine, if a bit dirty looking.

      iris nevins