More on Ben Franklin and marbling

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      I FINALLY got a hold of a copy of vol 32 of the papers of Benjamin Franklin. On pages
      441-2, there is a transcription of an autographed signed letter dated May 30th 1780 in
      the Dibner Library at the Smithsonian. It directs Franklin's friend and banker at Paris,
      Ferdinand Grande to pay London Stationer James Woodmason the sum of 20 pounds, Eight
      Shillings, and six pence sterling "being for Paper of a partiucular kind which he had
      furnished by my Order and sent hither, for printing the Congress Promises."

      The footnotes then state that he placed the order for the paper in June 1779 , and that it is
      reproduced on pp 609-12 of vol. 30. Why this wasn't mentioned in vol. 31 along with the
      other information about the marbled loans, I'm not sure. However it does seem that this
      would authenticate that the marbling used for those loans to be of English manufacture.
      Whether this same stock was used for printing the Continental bank notes is another
      matter. Has anyone on this list had a chance to look in person at the notes currently on
      exhibition?

      Jake