A death

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005
      Greetings everyone,

      I just learned today that Mr. Sarvan Digamber, a marbler in Jaipur
      working in the traditional Indian manner passed away three months ago.
      It is not clear to me if his sons have continued with his work. Mr.
      Digamber was featured in Alexandra Soteriou's beautiful book Gift of
      the Conquerors. The methods he used were very much a continuation of
      the Indian Abri traditions. He employed fenugreek for his size,
      mordanted handmade papers with alum prior to marbling, and made all of
      his colors from pigment. All of these methods are described in the
      18th century manuscript Persian manuscript Khulusat al Mujarrbat
      (Quintessence of Perscriptions). He also made rudimentary combs using
      thorns from the acacia tree. While we not just his work to be of the
      high standards that some profess today, nevertheless, his work was a
      very authentic, ad fully preserved a historical marbling tradition in
      the region.

      Jake Benson
      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding, Conservation, & Hand Marbled Papers
      Jake Benson, Proprietor
      1027 Brookwood Circle
      West Columbia, SC 29169
      (803) 926-5544