paper prices up

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
      I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for watercolor marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
      The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that it has gone up by 50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can still work! But I wonder if anyone has found anything else that works and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain preferably. I hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am absorbing the other half.

      Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a dollar a pound more. It seems to rise every six months lately.

      thanks,

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
        One thing-a minor digression......when I last visited Nova Scotia and went to the beach--and saw all that seaweed---I started thinking about carrageenan --and how it is taken-developed-shredded-pounded-powdered, etc.
        Anyone here able to send in a message--to explain about this particular substance?
        I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for watercolor marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
        The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that it has gone up by 50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can still work! But I wonder if anyone has found anything else that works and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain preferably. I hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am absorbing the other half.

        Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a dollar a pound more. It seems to rise every six months lately.

        thanks,

        Game art design college Graphic art design program School of graphic art design

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
          I have used it off the beach, dried it first. It wasn't so viscous as the powdered stuff.
          iris nevins

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
            We used to buy dried crumbled seaweed (purchased in bulk from health
            food stores) and boiled that to extract the agar (the gelatinous
            substance also known as carrageenan) straining out and discarding the
            seaweed.
            The seaweed is harvested by trawler from the oceans (chiefly the
            Indian and North Atlantic), washed and cooked on an industrial scale
            to extract the gelatin. Finally the water is extracted from the agar
            leaving the dry powder that one can mix in the blender.
            All seaweeds contain this agar to a degree though concentration
            depends upon type of seaweed (reds and purples the best) and where it
            grows. In the olden days most European agar was extracted from
            seaweed washed ashore in Ireland (why it was/is called Irish moss)
            where people made a partial living collecting, rinsing, and drying it
            for sale. No reason you can't do the same. Figure on three or four
            handfuls of washed (to rid the salt) dried seaweed to as many gallons
            boiling water. Simmer about 20 minutes, let cool, strain through
            cheesecloth then dilute to working consistency.

            James Tapley
            Hand
            Bookbinder
            2077 13th Street
            Sarasota FL 34237
            941.366.8248
          • Carole Vanderhoof
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
              Is what we use the same type of carrageenan used in food manufacturing? The ice cream additive?
              Can't we buy it in bulk from some kind of food supply?

              Carole Vanderhoof
              Lonely Pine Bindery
              http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz
            • james tapley
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                Yes, it is the same carrageenan you find in Wonder Bread and
                chocolate milk, etc.
                Last time I looked minimum order from a food product supplier was a
                couple 100 pounds barrel. Oi!

                James Tapley
                Hand
                Bookbinder
                2077 13th Street
                Sarasota FL 34237
                941.366.8248

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                    I got one ten years ago and still use it! Still good. after all these years but I find I use differnt Carra geenan for differnt paints and mediums.
                    Probably Just me that would do this John Goode

                    james tapley <jthandbook@...> wrote:
                    Yes, it is the same carrageenan you find in Wonder Bread and
                    chocolate milk, etc.
                    Last time I looked minimum order from a food product supplier was a
                    couple 100 pounds barrel. Oi!

                    James Tapley
                    Hand
                    Bookbinder
                    2077 13th Street
                    Sarasota FL 34237
                    941.366.8248

                    Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Graphic art design program School of graphic art design

                  • Carole Vanderhoof
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                      John, where did you buy the carrageenan drum?

                      Carole Vanderhoof
                      Lonely Pine Bindery
                      http://lonelypine.ce-service.biz

                      I got one ten years ago and still use it! Still good. after all these years but I find I use differnt Carra geenan for differnt paints and mediums.
                      Probably Just me that would do this John Goode
                    • Brent Mydland

                        I got one ten years ago and still use it! Still good. after all these years but I find I use differnt Carra geenan for differnt paints and mediums.
                        Probably Just me that would do this John Goode

                        Art and design school Art design class Art design degree Game art design college Graphic art design program School of graphic art design

                      • sixshort
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 10, 2005
                          Hi Iris, Have you ever thought of trying Oxford 118gsm paper? It is
                          milled in America and comes in a beautiful cream, white, and a variety
                          of darker colours (but not ivory or pale grey unfortunately). It has
                          never let me down for marbling. It has a slight texture which doesn't
                          affect the marbling, and I have had good reports of it from
                          bookbinders. A paper from Austria, Concept, 104gsm, also marbles
                          beautifully. It comes in many delicate shades of blue, grey, sand,
                          pink and white. Both of these papers were recommended to me by Vi
                          Wilson. The Kaskad range from Scandinavia, 100 and 140gsm in a wide
                          range of strong and pale colours is very reliable. It is not a high
                          quality paper but excellent for many purposes. I have the sizes and
                          grain of these if you are interested.

                          Prices will always go up - we just have to grit our teeth and get on
                          with life regardless. Joan Ajala

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 10, 2005
                            Thanks Joan.....do you know who the American distributor may be? I think I have tried Oxford at some point. Trouble is importing papers, makes them very pricey. I love the Natur Text and just ordered 2000 sheets to get to the break where it's a little cheaper, still it's just about double what I paid before.

                            I will again research the commercial papers here. Whatever.....this stuff works, I have a lot of it for now, and am thankful that SOMETHING works!

                            I remember once the people from Classic Linen/Laid said if I bought a run of 20,000 papers they would do the old formula. No matter what, we will have paper that marbles! It's not the end of the world, just pricier.

                            iris nevins

                            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@v<mailto:irisnevins@v>...> wrote:

                            > I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for
                            watercolor marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
                            > The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that
                            it has gone up by 50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can
                            still work! But I wonder if anyone has found anything else that works
                            and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain preferably. I
                            hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am
                            absorbing the other half.

                            > Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a
                            dollar a pound more. It seems to rise every six months lately.

                            > thanks,
                            > Iris Nevins

                          • Dave Allen
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 10, 2005
                              Iris,
                              II don't think you should absorb any of the increased cost of the paper.
                              I always pass on the cost of materials directly to my clients and have
                              never had a complaint when prices went up. Why should you absorb the cost?
                              If you increase your prices a bit at a time based on what it costs you
                              plus your markup then you never have to make a major adjustment of
                              prices which really upsets people.
                              Just my 2 cents,
                              Dave Allen

                              irisnevins wrote:

                              >I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for watercolor marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
                              >The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that it has gone up by 50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can still work! But I wonder if anyone has found anything else that works and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain preferably. I hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am absorbing the other half.
                              >Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a dollar a pound more. It seems to rise every six months lately.
                              >thanks,
                              >Iris Nevins

                              _____
                              840 Snowdrop Avenue
                              Victoria BC CANADA V8Z 2N4
                              (250)888-9380
                              http://www.bookbinder.ca/
                            • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 10, 2005
                                Hi Dave,
                                I think you are right, absorbing increased prices only gives problems later on, when there
                                are more rises and you have to make up for them in one step. There are limits as to how
                                often and for which article you can raise prices, though... My catalogue prices usually keep
                                three or four years, with a somewhat tight feeling towards the end, while I adjust the
                                prices for specials as the need arises. This does nicely for me. It's a political decision
                                really.

                                As to paper: Hahnemühle has done something or other to what they call Nature Tex in the
                                US, making it unfit for all my sprinkeled techniques (while it continues to work well for
                                marbling and reasonably well for paste). They maintained, however, that they changed
                                nothing and that the faults were entirely on my side - until I sent them samples. That put
                                a full stop to our correspondence. As this has happened before with Hahnemühle, I
                                decided to find another base paper.
                                I have changed to Corolla Book by Fedrigoni. It's Italian, which means another import for
                                you in US in case they do not have a plant in AMerica. It is only slightly more expensive
                                than the Hahnemühle, but much more elegant, less fillers and less air in it compared to
                                the Nature Tex. I'm using the 90gms kind. Very suitable for restoration stuff! The old
                                papers were thin.

                                Susanne Krause

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 10, 2005
                                  Yes, the old papers were thin, but from what I can gather they also marbled much smaller sheets as a rule. I find it unwieldy to manage a thin wet paper at what is now the expected size of at least 17 1/2 X 22 1/2, and I use 19 X 25. It also thinned with burnishing. I wish I could just find a cheap good paper again!

                                  I need to just raise at half for now, I will see how it goes. I already raised a year ago when I had to switch. Sorry for your troubles....I live in fear of ordering a ton of paper again that used to work and suddenly no longer does.

                                  Dave, you are right, but maybe with yet more investigation I can find a less expensive paper that works. I will have to buy 100,000 sheets just to have around!!! I like the Natur Text though.....really like it and so do my customers.

                                  iris nevins

                                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@y<mailto:canadian_bookbinder@y>...> wrote:

                                  > Iris,
                                  > II don't think you should absorb any of the increased cost of the paper.
                                  > I always pass on the cost of materials directly to my clients and have
                                  > never had a complaint when prices went up. Why should you absorb the cost?
                                  > If you increase your prices a bit at a time based on what it costs you
                                  > plus your markup then you never have to make a major adjustment of
                                  > prices which really upsets people.
                                  > Just my 2 cents,
                                  > Dave Allen
                                  >
                                  > irisnevins wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for watercolor
                                  marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
                                  > >The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that it has gone up by
                                  50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can still work! But I wonder if anyone has found
                                  anything else that works and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain
                                  preferably. I hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am absorbing the
                                  other half.
                                  > >Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a dollar a pound more. It
                                  seems to rise every six months lately.
                                  > >thanks,
                                  > >Iris Nevins
                                  > >

                                  > _____
                                  > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
                                  > 840 Snowdrop Avenue
                                  > Victoria BC CANADA V8Z 2N4
                                  > (250)888-9380
                                  > http://www.bookbinder.ca/<http://www.bookbinder.ca/>

                                • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 11, 2005
                                    I cannot lay hands on the formula right now, but if I remember correctly,1 inch answers to
                                    about 2,5 cm. I am using 50 x 70cm sheets, as do many European marbling professionals.
                                    That would be 20 x 28 inches. It works without problems and torn corners, even when
                                    carrying the sheet by its ears to the drying rack and even with dribbled patterns weighing
                                    about a ton when wet.
                                    Yes, many of the old sheets were smaller, at least in Europe - e.g. 48 x 63cm (19,2 x
                                    25,2inches), 43 x 61 cm (17,2 x 24,4inches) or 33 x 45cm (13,2 x 18inches).

                                    I do not know the least about markets in America, but is it really so bad to raise the price
                                    by those few cents per sheet? Or make a calculation that leaves a reserve? After all, the
                                    bulk of our prices is not materials (except with hand made base paper, of course), it is our
                                    work. Or do you make your prices another way?
                                    If you have found a base paper that's the answer to the marbler's prayer - use it (except,
                                    again, if it's hand made or whatever for several $ per sheet). Finding the right materials is
                                    part of our work. A person cannot do first class work with second class materials, and first
                                    class materials in this case is what is the most suitable for the task, which doesn't
                                    necessarily mean the most expensive. There are cases when the cheapest is the best.

                                    And yes, the search for the best base paper of all is a never ending one. Like you, Iris, I
                                    have had the dubious pleasure to find myself saddled with 2000 sheets that did not work
                                    as they had before. Like you, I found a way out. Like you, I hold my breath that this may
                                    happen again. But does it help? No, we're too small fish in the paper factories' ponds.

                                    Susanne krause

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 11, 2005
                                      Well, I was told if I order enough...I think it was maybe 20,000 sheets, I could get the old formula of Classic Linen. I don't know where I'd put them all!! It may actually be very cheap at that rate in fact though. Or could they have said 200,000! I don't even remember! Can you imagine though if they SAY it is old formula and you get it and it doesn't marble....nightmare!

                                      My instinct says a little price rise now, then another maybe six months later. I like to follow my gut in most everything.

                                      Iris

                                      <canadian_bookbinder@y<mailto:canadian_bookbinder@y<mailto:canadian_bookbinder@y<mailto:canadian_bookbinder@y>>...> wrote:

                                      > > Iris,
                                      > > II don't think you should absorb any of the increased cost of the paper.
                                      > > I always pass on the cost of materials directly to my clients and have
                                      > > never had a complaint when prices went up. Why should you absorb the cost?
                                      > > If you increase your prices a bit at a time based on what it costs you
                                      > > plus your markup then you never have to make a major adjustment of
                                      > > prices which really upsets people.
                                      > > Just my 2 cents,
                                      > > Dave Allen
                                      > >
                                      > > irisnevins wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > >I once again would like to find out what papers people are using for watercolor
                                      > marbling, acrylic too, but more for watercolor.
                                      > > >The good news is Natur Text is still available, the bad news is that it has gone up
                                      by
                                      > 50 cents or so a sheet. At least I am glad I can still work! But I wonder if anyone has
                                      found
                                      > anything else that works and is under about $1.00 a sheet for 19 X 25 long grain
                                      > preferably. I hate to raise prices, but have had to by half the raise, I am absorbing the
                                      > other half.
                                      > > >Also, carrageenan is up again, it will likely work out to about a dollar a pound
                                      more. It
                                      > seems to rise every six months lately.
                                      > > >thanks,
                                      > > >Iris Nevins
                                      > > >

                                      > > _____
                                      > > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
                                      > > 840 Snowdrop Avenue
                                      > > Victoria BC CANADA V8Z 2N4
                                      > > (250)888-9380
                                      > > http://www.bookbinder.ca/<http://www.bookbinder.ca/<http://www.bookbinder.ca/<http://www.bookbinder.ca/>>
                                      > >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • susanne martin
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 12, 2005
                                        Iris, have you thought about being an American source of paper, buying the
                                        huge amounts and reselling to other marblers - a big flaw in this is that it
                                        would take time from marbling!

                                        Susanne

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 12, 2005
                                          I already do offer them for sale, Natur Text and Ingres. Not many buy it, so I figure they have something else that works for them, but I can't make much paper work at all. I guess I could find some bad old pulpy acidy paper again, but this paper is just so nice and is archival. The problem is the comercial mills use the CC as filler, up to 50% instead of wood pulp, it's a lot cheaper and they get to claim they have gone acid free. Lots of problems with it.

                                          Whatever.....it's not the end of the world,at least some papers still work!
                                          iris nevins
                                          Iris, have you thought about being an American source of paper, buying the
                                          huge amounts and reselling to other marblers - a big flaw in this is that it
                                          would take time from marbling!

                                          Susanne

                                          >From: "irisnevins" <irisnevins@...<mailto:irisnevins@...>>
                                          >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>>
                                          >Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re: paper prices up
                                          >Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:11:59 -0500
                                          >
                                          >Yes, the old papers were thin, but from what I can gather they also marbled
                                          >much smaller sheets as a rule. I find it unwieldy to manage a thin wet
                                          >paper at what is now the expected size of at least 17 1/2 X 22 1/2, and I
                                          >use 19 X 25. It also thinned with burnishing. I wish I could just find a
                                          >cheap good paper again!
                                          >
                                          >I need to just raise at half for now, I will see how it goes. I already
                                          >raised a year ago when I had to switch. Sorry for your troubles....I live
                                          >in fear of ordering a ton of paper again that used to work and suddenly no
                                          >longer does.
                                          >
                                          >Dave, you are right, but maybe with yet more investigation I can find a
                                          >less expensive paper that works. I will have to buy 100,000 sheets just to
                                          >have around!!! I like the Natur Text though.....really like it and so do my
                                          >customers.
                                          >
                                          >iris nevins

                                        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 12, 2005
                                            Ooooooh yes. That's just what they suggested to me when I insisted something was not as
                                            it has been before (and they maintained i was wrong). When you order a ton, we can do
                                            whatever you want... That would be about 20.000 sheets 70 x 100cm. But I do not have an
                                            extra house to house a ton of paper!

                                            Susanne Krause