alum

  • celinat05
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
      Dears ,
      Can you say how much alun a have to use for marbling papers? I
      tried many kinds of combination , but unfortenly I din^t had succefully.
      I appreciate if you answer as soon as possible.
      Sinceralys,...
    • blynnekelly
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
        Hi Everybody, I am new to marbling and am stumped by the whole alum
        thing. I was experimenting with Masa paper and got some stunning
        results right away. Then I decided to read a book and follow the rules
        and put alum on the paper first. Now the paint won't stick to the
        paper!!! I thought alum was supposed to make the paint stick. I bought
        the powdered alum at Daniel Smith Art Supply and mixed it 1 Tablspoon:
        1 cup water. I heated it up a little until it was blended, then
        painted it on the paper.
        I used a carrageenan gel base and also am having one heck of a time
        keeping my colors from sinking. I have "The Ultimate Marbling
        Handbook" by Diane Maurer-Mathison and have read it.
        Lynne
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
          you need to let the alum dry to at least damp, never use it wet, the paints will come off.

          What paper do you use that needs no alum. I presume you must be using acrylics? They sometimes stick without alum. If not, we'd love to know what materials you use.

          iris nevins

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
            Lynne,

            I have never marbled Masa, but believe it is an absorbant paper, which would
            explain why you achieved an image without alum. Many absorbant papers will
            yield a rather soft and slightly blurred
            image without any alum mordant. If Masa is also an acid-free paper, and I
            believe it is, that too could explain why the alum did not work for you. A
            calcium coated paper ( which renders the paper acid free) will repel the alum and
            then the color. I don't have time to reply to your questions in print, but if
            you have really read my book and are following the instructions to a T, I'd be
            happy to speak with you via telephone. Try me between 4 and 6 EST today at
            814-422-8651.

            Best,
            Diane
            www.dianemaurer.com

          • John Goode
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
              You may have the wrong type of alum.
              Try another source from a marbling supplier like colophon or Diane Maurer.
              Good Luck JBG

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
                true...should be aluminum sulphate or aluminum potassium sulphate.

                iris nevins

                On 3/29/06, blynnekelly <blynnekelly@...<mailto:blynnekelly@...>> wrote:

                > Hi Everybody, I am new to marbling and am stumped by the whole alum
                > thing. I was experimenting with Masa paper and got some stunning
                > results right away. Then I decided to read a book and follow the rules
                > and put alum on the paper first. Now the paint won't stick to the
                > paper!!! I thought alum was supposed to make the paint stick. I bought
                > the powdered alum at Daniel Smith Art Supply and mixed it 1 Tablspoon:
                > 1 cup water. I heated it up a little until it was blended, then
                > painted it on the paper.
                > I used a carrageenan gel base and also am having one heck of a time
                > keeping my colors from sinking. I have "The Ultimate Marbling
                > Handbook" by Diane Maurer-Mathison and have read it.
                > Lynne
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • hhumler
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
                  a question for the more chemist minded - when aluminng large quantities of something, for
                  instance scarves or paper, can anyone definitively say that the alum solution that was full
                  strength when one started the aluming process is still full strength at the end of aluming
                  these items. In other words, does the product being alumed draw off the alum and at the
                  end perhaps the last sheet of paper or scarf does not get as much alum on it as did the first
                  item?
                  Just trying to figure out why some scarves/paper come out more pastel than others.
                  Granted it could be the amount of paint thrown on the methy cel or carrageenan, but perhaps
                  there id another explanaion....
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
                    I don't think the later solution is less weak. It may cloud a bit from "paper sludge" absobed by the sponge you keep dipping in, but I have never had any alum weakening, except in cases where you marble "damp" and if it sits too long, especially in hot humid weather, the alum seems to go a bit weak, all the way to totally ineffective.

                    After nearly three decades of marbling I concluded, at least for myself, the best and easiest way to deal with paper and alum is to alum ahead, as much as I want, hundreds of sheets if I want, and to alum in 55% humidity or less, and to also store the papers in the same humidity (after line drying overnight and flattening under boards). I have experimented on papers kept for many years this way and the alum is still good.

                    As for fabric, I would do the same, though I wouldn't keep the fabric once alumed for years....allegedly the alum can corrode the fabric. It has never seemed to corrode any paper though. I use half strength alum on fabric and it works fine.

                    iris nevins
                    http://marblingpaper.com<http://marblingpaper.com/>